Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I even try for law school with these stats?  (Read 6633 times)

operaphantom2003

• View Profile
    • Email
Should I even try for law school with these stats?
« on: September 24, 2008, 07:32:06 PM »
I am 35 (not old at all unless you are 20  ;) ) but it has been implied by my local law school that I do not have the factors they are looking for nowadays.  I started school 17 years ago, left school after 2 semesters with a 1.8 gpa.  Went back to school 5 years ago, made deans list 7 semesters, but still get a 3.15 lsdas gpa.  I didn't get involved in the school activities because I am a single mom, volunteered at the same place for 5 years and just wanted to focus on my son.  I guess that is frowned upon.  I took the lsat and got a 176, so I thought I would be okay with great recommendations, BS in Economics, but I guess I was wrong.  Should I really try for law school or should I just give up with the thought that I did what was best for my family, not for "school image"?

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should I even try for law school with these stats?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:43:50 PM »
Which law schools are you looking at and who told you you were not the right fit? When you send in your applications the 176 will outweigh a lot. Luckily, you are able to market yourself through your resume and personal statements. I would take most advice with a grain of salt and just keep it in mind as you craft your application.  If anything it will be your GPA that keeps you out of the T14 and not your personal circumstances, provided you market yourself properly. With that said, definitely apply to law school if it is what you want to do and congrats on the amazing LSAT score!

TimMitchell

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:49:01 PM »
I'm thinking this thread might be troll but I'll bite. Where do you live, New Haven? I can't think of any law school in the country that would imply you are not what they are looking for. I'd say you are about a sure thing for every school except for the Top 6, and even then you have a good chance. How did you do so well on the LSAT, which surely required at least a moderate amount of study and prepping, submit you transcripts and everything but not look up the statistics schools usually accept. Go to lawschoolnumbers.com and you can get a good idea of where your numbers where get you, which is everywhere.

operaphantom2003

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 10:22:51 PM »
I live in utah and met with the law schools admissions today.  I did study for the lsat but always found logic games and the like very easy.  My gpa has been very well for the past 5 years but is brought down severly because of earlier classes.  I do hang around on lawschoolnumbers but haven't found much hope since I do not have any soft factors that come close to others.  I don't play sports, don't participate in school groups, functions, etc.  I just focus on my kid, school work, volunteer work, and getting by.

TimMitchell

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 10:25:32 PM »
I live in utah and met with the law schools admissions today.  I did study for the lsat but always found logic games and the like very easy.  My gpa has been very well for the past 5 years but is brought down severly because of earlier classes.  I do hang around on lawschoolnumbers but haven't found much hope since I do not have any soft factors that come close to others.  I don't play sports, don't participate in school groups, functions, etc.  I just focus on my kid, school work, volunteer work, and getting by.

You have more credentials than Sarah Palin has... Being a non-traditional student as well as a mother is a huge soft factor. And wait a second, volunteering is also a soft factor.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 10:30:12 PM »

Are you willing to move?  As a "splitter", you'll easily get into a number of schools, most of which are much higher ranked than any Utah school.  I suspect their problem with you is not academic.  Shed the chip they've set on your shoulder, and apply far away from Utah.  No school expects a 35 year old to be involved in 20 year old activities.  Focus on those activities which center around your "real life".  There is no shame in those.  Schools want diversity - that doesn't only mean racial and ethnic diversity.

(I'm also a non-trad parent, somewhat of a splitter.)
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 02:12:08 PM »
You have a 176 and a GPA in the 3s. Why are we even having this discussion?

Yes, go to law school if you want to, and don't worry, you'll get into some pretty good schools and probably get some cash thrown your way. Your career, and by extension your family, will be much better for your efforts. The only concern you should have is that you'll likely have to move (to go to a better school than Utah or BYU), but good, you get to escape Utah.

And don't worry about activities, they really don't matter.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »
You scored a 176 on the LSAT??!! Let that marinate for the class. SPECTACULAR! ;D

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 03:19:37 PM »
That school you met with - is it by chance not ranked very highly? If so, they think you're an applicant they'd need to yield-protect (reject you before you reject them to improve their acceptance-to-attendee ratio). Most good schools would take you and your LSAT in a heartbeat, and your GPA is not that bad.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 06:28:39 PM »
this thread cannot be real.  no one smacks a 176 outta the park and looks around and asks "what game are we playing and what are the rules...?"