Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best BAR review courses?  (Read 1343 times)

neon

• View Profile
    • Email
Best BAR review courses?
« on: September 24, 2008, 06:57:11 PM »
Our school is only advertising Kaplan for Bar review. I remember people criticized it as a prep course for the LSAT, so I have negative associations with this name. What do other people think? Did you use Kaplan for your bar preparation?
I know kaplan doesn't use actual questions from the previous actual test. Is there a prep course that does use actual questions? Kind of like Testmasters for the LSAT?

Thanks

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Best BAR review courses?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »
Kaplan is PMBR, which is ONLY multiple choice review (called the MBE, everyone across the country takes the same exam).  Most (all?) state bar exams have a state specific essay portion.

Most people take BarBri, which reviews state law, but also does MBE review.  I took BarBri, and I was pretty satisfied** with the materials and most of the lectures.  That being said, many, many people do both PMBR and Bri/Bri, and some do PMBR and some other lesser known program for the essay portion.

As for whether or not PMBR uses real questions, my understanding is that the vast majority of multiple choice questions used by all the prep companies are not real questions.  The bar exam is an entirely different beast than the LSAT, so reputations for LSAT prep are pretty irrelevant.

**I don't find out if I passed for another month or so, so my satisfaction could change.  :P

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 08:21:26 PM »
PMBR offers FULL Bar Review service for Florida for the upcoming Feb. 2009 exam and July 2009 for New York.
But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!

neon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 05:22:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for responses.

good luck in everything!