Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class rank question (taking into account summer grades?)  (Read 2078 times)

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Class rank question (taking into account summer grades?)
« on: September 24, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »
THIS IS NOT FOR OCI. 

I took summer classes after 1L this summer and it raised my GPA somewhat significantly.  On my resume I have been putting in my current GPA which is almost .2 higher than it was after first year. (went from a 3.0 to a 3.18 from the summer)   But I have been including my class rank based on my GPA from after first year, which is not what my GPA is anymore.    How do I deal with this, because my 1L class rank was just outside top 33% and I can't really put "top 40%" on a resume and feel serious about it, but as of now my GPA is clearly higher than the one used to calculate the 1st year rank, and I would have to wait an entire year almost to get re-ranked.   3.18 on the 1st year class rank list is like top third which is a major difference obviously than my 3.0 which had me at like 38%.

What is the procedure here?  Thanks a lot

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Class rank question (taking into account summer grades?)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:15:16 PM »
Obvious answer I think is to not put a rank.  Or talk to career services and figure out what the policy is for listing gpa/rank on your resume in this kind of situation.

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:40:01 PM »

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 10:28:09 PM »
I was in a similar situation, on my resume I have:

GPA: X.XXX   Rank XX/XXX (GPA increased from X.XXX to X.XXX since last ranking)

you could leave the rank off, but with you having a decent rank its not worth the risk of some employers thinking you have a lower rank

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 11:02:42 PM »
Does anyone put things like "Top 40%" on their resume, or nothing less than top 1/3?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 08:25:24 AM »
Does anyone put things like "Top 40%" on their resume, or nothing less than top 1/3?

Irrelevant question for you, my friend.  If your school didn't officially rank you as "Top 40%" you shouldn't put that on your resume.

But the answer to your question is yes, people would put that on their resume to show they're a little better off than top half (assuming "Top 40% is an official ranking used at the school).

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 11:53:33 AM »

Irrelevant question for you, my friend.  If your school didn't officially rank you as "Top 40%" you shouldn't put that on your resume.

But the answer to your question is yes, people would put that on their resume to show they're a little better off than top half (assuming "Top 40% is an official ranking used at the school).

my school doesn't assign ranks, all they do is assign you (xxx/xxx).  And mine came out to .38 before the summer.  They never actually tell you "you are top 20% , you are top 1/3", they just give you the fraction.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 12:38:05 PM »
Then I think you should just put the fraction, and let the person reading your resume do the math themselves.  But aside from it being important to check with career services to ensure your resume doesn't violate the honor policy, dukedog probably had the best idea if you want to put all of that information.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »
Iíve taken summer classes all four years so this has always been an issue for me. Try something like 2007/2008 ranking GPA 3.00 xx/xxx, current GPA 3.18. If you school does not give percentages then just let your GPA/rank stand as is.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 05:00:55 PM »
I'd put something like:

Top 1% (1/433)