Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW ED and Recommendation Letters  (Read 1636 times)

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
GW ED and Recommendation Letters
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:22:30 PM »
NPE has decided to try for the GW Early Decision, and the accompanying full ride.  GW says that they don't require any recommendations, but that they accept up to two.  NPE's academic adviser will be finished in the next couple of weeks with her letter, which NPE expects to be stellar.  NPE's other recommender is notoriously slow, and while the letter is expected to be good, NPE does not expect it to be nearly as convincing as the adviser's letter.  NPE's numbers, soft factors, etc. are in the LSN link in his sig.

If each of these premises is true, which course of action should NPE take?

A) Submit as early as possible, regardless of whether any letters are ready.  Send them as they come in.
B) Submit when the adviser's letter is ready, but don't wait for the other.
C) Submit when both letters are ready.
D) Don't apply to GW Early Decision at all.
E) Hey, is that Alton Brown?
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

TimMitchell

Re: GW ED and Recommendation Letters
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 04:16:21 PM »
B-- but A if after two weeks its not in

(I considered selected D because of your LSAT, you prob will get a full-ride at other schools anyway and you won't be bound to GW)

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 04:20:07 PM »
B

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 05:22:56 PM »
B was my inclination too.  I just don't know if only having one letter looks bad, or if it wouldn't because GW doesn't require any anyway.  I think that's probably the way to go, but if anyone else has advice I'm all ears.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 05:36:32 PM »
I'd go with B if you really want to apply. I think one great letter will do a lot of good. From what I've heard, merely 'good' letters don't help admissions people much.

I have to be honest, if I were you I'd go with D. You're 175, even with the low GPA will likely get you into a T14. It does depend on what you want to do of course, but a T14 school will give you the name to go a lot more places. Yes, you'll have the debt, but you won't have that much trouble paying it off. Just my .02. On the other hand, if no debt is important to you, then go for it.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 05:59:05 PM »
I should have clarified above.  While I don't know exactly what I want to do yet after graduation, I doubt I want something like BigLaw.  I'd much rather do government, civil rights, or public interest work in D.C., so I think a no-debt option out of a D.C. school is probably the best.

I wish I could find stats anywhere on the numbers of people who get GW ED.

TimMitchell

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 06:05:41 PM »
I should have clarified above.  While I don't know exactly what I want to do yet after graduation, I doubt I want something like BigLaw.  I'd much rather do government, civil rights, or public interest work in D.C., so I think a no-debt option out of a D.C. school is probably the best.

I wish I could find stats anywhere on the numbers of people who get GW ED.

That makes me lean further away from D, but also consider that many T14s offer Public Interest Scholarships and/or loan forgiveness programs for people in Public Interest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 07:42:24 PM »
I talked to GW's rep at the LSAC forum about it.  I'm going to send you a PM just because my memory is fuzzy and I don't want to be posting inaccurate stuff here.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 10:34:04 PM »
Saw the PM, and thanks for the info.  That certainly sheds some new light on the matter.

tstyler98

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 01:04:02 PM »
I talked to GW's rep at the LSAC forum about it.  I'm going to send you a PM just because my memory is fuzzy and I don't want to be posting inaccurate stuff here.

Hi.  I too am thinking about applying to GW via the ED program.  Would you be willing to PM me the information you sent NPE?  Thanks!
GPA: 3.7/LSAT: 164