Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Terrified of the LSAT  (Read 8718 times)

TimMitchell

Re: Terrified of the LSAT
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2008, 12:02:37 PM »
Time to lay down the tough love.

Angiej, your outlook sucks.  You titled your post "Terrified of the LSAT."  Really?  Terrified?  This is not the language of a winner.  Yeah, it's the LSAT, a big-ol' ugly test, but get real.  Nobody ever died of a low LSAT score.

Second, I'm really disturbed by your goals which are frankly shooting for mediocrity.  150 so you can barely get into a state school??  Come on.  You've got three friggin years before you're gonna take this test, and you're hoping for a score below the median??  Again, not the language of a winner.

You are doing like I've seen so many people do before--setting yourself up for failure.  STOP IT.

The language you use will truly have an effect on the way you think.  Put another way, you can seriously change your thinking by changing the language you use.  Try it.  Talk about how you're not afraid but determined, and excited because you have tons of resources available to you.  Talk about how you're going to invest your time and effort towards a 168.  Talk about how your goal (not your elusive pie-in-the-sky dream, but your tangible, attainable goal) is Notre Dame.  Then figure out the next step toward making it happen and take it.

You've got about 1000 days.  How are you going to use this one?

Okay, good point. Are you an inspirational speaker or something?  I guess my basis for the negativity or low self esteem is that 2 years ago I never would have even thought about college. I barely passed highschool with something like a 2.0 gpa.  I never thought I was capable of anything college-related.

I read an article from a professor a few years ago talking about how many bright students had low self esteem and felt like they couldn't handle material, even though they were already at the top of the class

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2008, 12:33:55 PM »

Angiej, your outlook sucks.  You titled your post "Terrified of the LSAT."  Really?  Terrified?  This is not the language of a winner.  Yeah, it's the LSAT, a big-ol' ugly test, but get real.  Nobody ever died of a low LSAT score.

Second, I'm really disturbed by your goals which are frankly shooting for mediocrity.  150 so you can barely get into a state school??  Come on.  You've got three friggin years before you're gonna take this test, and you're hoping for a score below the median??  Again, not the language of a winner.

You are doing like I've seen so many people do before--setting yourself up for failure.  STOP IT.

The language you use will truly have an effect on the way you think.  Put another way, you can seriously change your thinking by changing the language you use.  Try it.  Talk about how you're not afraid but determined, and excited because you have tons of resources available to you.  Talk about how you're going to invest your time and effort towards a 168.  Talk about how your goal (not your elusive pie-in-the-sky dream, but your tangible, attainable goal) is Notre Dame.  Then figure out the next step toward making it happen and take it.

Okay, good point. Are you an inspirational speaker or something?  I guess my basis for the negativity or low self esteem is that 2 years ago I never would have even thought about college. I barely passed highschool with something like a 2.0 gpa.  I never thought I was capable of anything college-related.

I read an article from a professor a few years ago talking about how many bright students had low self esteem and felt like they couldn't handle material, even though they were already at the top of the class
Wow, that is interesting. I keep thinking the fact that I had a 4.0, now 3.7 is a total fluke.  Maybe I should give myself a bit of credit. Its hard though, my best friend tried to get into law school, she said she scored less than 150 on her lsat (in my opinion she is very, very intelligent) and she applied to several schools but (around 15) and did not get accepted to any of them, even her safe schools.  She keeps telling me not to get my hopes up b/c the odds are usually stacked against most b/c its so hard to get into law school.  She tells me quit thinking about law school focus on your bachelors. But ya know what, I'm just happy that I am planning enough ahead to be totaly prepared.

augusta

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2008, 01:35:57 PM »
It is clear, from the deeply flawed argument your friend presented you with, precisely why she scored below 150. Luckily, you have seen the error of her ways and won't be convinced by it.  ;)
3.67/Oct. LSAT

TimMitchell

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2008, 01:38:09 PM »

Wow, that is interesting. I keep thinking the fact that I had a 4.0, now 3.7 is a total fluke.  Maybe I should give myself a bit of credit. Its hard though, my best friend tried to get into law school, she said she scored less than 150 on her lsat (in my opinion she is very, very intelligent) and she applied to several schools but (around 15) and did not get accepted to any of them, even her safe schools.  She keeps telling me not to get my hopes up b/c the odds are usually stacked against most b/c its so hard to get into law school.  She tells me quit thinking about law school focus on your bachelors. But ya know what, I'm just happy that I am planning enough ahead to be totaly prepared.

Don't let the nay-sayers get to you! She may be very intelligent but just didn't spend enough time studying for the LSAT. I have a friend who is taking it in Oct with me but hasn't studied very much at all. I keep begging him to study but because he is very smart he feels like he won't have a problem with the test. However, people taking the LSAT and considering law school are usually above average intelligence and thus you are competing with those people on the test. I think anyone that is smart enough to get a 4.0 in college is smart enough to learn the LSAT and get into some schools, and you your case ND is very, very obtainable. In fact, judging by how early you are starting and how dedicated you are, I predict ND winds up being your safety  ;)

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2008, 01:39:43 PM »

Don't let the nay-sayers get to you! She may be very intelligent but just didn't spend enough time studying for the LSAT. I have a friend who is taking it in Oct with me but hasn't studied very much at all. I keep begging him to study but because he is very smart he feels like he won't have a problem with the test. However, people taking the LSAT and considering law school are usually above average intelligence and thus you are competing with those people on the test. I think anyone that is smart enough to get a 4.0 in college is smart enough to learn the LSAT and get into some schools, and you your case ND is very, very obtainable. In fact, judging by how early you are starting and how dedicated you are, I predict ND winds up being your safety  ;)

Aw, thank you. That made my day!

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »

Stop talking to your negative nancy friend.

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2008, 11:10:17 AM »
I picked up a used copy of Barron's LSAT prep.  I probably should invest in a newer 2008 edition, but am not sure which is better.  I am planning on taking an actual physical class the year in which I plan to take the LSAT (1 1/2 yrs from now), but wanted to get a leg up as I suspect I may need a little more study time or prep time than most.

I feel a little reassured on the reading comprehension items.  The first several excercises were rocky b/c it was apparent I was not absorbing the passage as I should.  I was reading at 220 wpm, and was told I need to get up to about 250 without compromising my comprehension.  Anyway, by the 3rd or 4th attempt, I was actually getting most of the questions relating to the passages correct.  The logic games, however, scare me, so I need to really work on those.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2008, 11:39:31 AM »
I find that powerscore is the best test prep company out there for all sections, but especially for logic games.  Powerscore also has the rights to use REAL LSAC questions in their material.  I also think that test prep courses are over-valued.  It is much more valuable IMO to prep by yourself.  The books alone do a great job explaining concepts and techniques, and if you have get stuck on certain concepts or problems, this board is a great free resource.  Honestly, for $1,100 you could buy all of the LSAT review material, pay for all your law school applications, and go and get smashed.  $1,100 for a test prep course will only get you the review material.   
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

TimMitchell

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2008, 11:42:23 AM »
I find that powerscore is the best test prep company out there for all sections, but especially for logic games.  Powerscore also has the rights to use REAL LSAC questions in their material.  I also think that test prep courses are over-valued.  It is much more valuable IMO to prep by yourself.  The books alone do a great job explaining concepts and techniques, and if you have get stuck on certain concepts or problems, this board is a great free resource.  Honestly, for $1,100 you could buy all of the LSAT review material, pay for all your law school applications, and go and get smashed.  $1,100 for a test prep course will only get you the review material.   

Ditto, Powerscore materials are the best

If I had money to spare I would prob have taken a course, but I'm pretty good at independent study and it seems to have worked just as well.

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2008, 11:48:44 AM »

LOL Powerscore it is!  I think I do okay on my own studying, but I am sure will come across times where I have questions, and as helpful as this board has been, I bet your right, I can find answers here.