Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Terrified of the LSAT  (Read 8922 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Terrified of the LSAT
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 12:13:34 PM »

I think pretty much every firm only recruits from Top 100 schools, but you'll learn on this board that there is a huge difference between schools within that range. 

This is not universally true. There is a world of difference in hiring practices between firms especially outside of the largest legal markets (NYC, L.A., San Fran). Hiring for firms in midsized markets is extremely regional, even students from T4s can get jobs at firms in the same city as the law school. There is not as heavy a bias towards the top schools in medium sized markets because they donít conform to the billing style of the largest firms in the biggest cities (i.e. all top 14 grads so we can bill more for our services). Even regional offices of large firms tend to have a strong regional biases in hiring from local schools. A law degree is not very portable because of the regional bias in hiring the bar requirement, thus outside of the top schools (and that usually means working in the top legal cites as well) where you go to school for most students will be where you end up practicing. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2008, 12:54:31 PM »
Approach Kaplan like you would approach someone with the plague.  Take a powerscore course or, better yet, just get powerscore books and study by yourself.  I recommend powerscore because it is what I use.  I have found it to be incredibly helpful and it provides more than enough strategy (as well as ACTUAL questions).  Go powerscore and you can't go wrong.

Very good to know, thanks!  I guess I was thinking one by one test prep schools will be shut down (lsat people thinking unfair advantage, I don't know).  But I didn't know the underlying story on Blueprint.

So stay away from Kaplan, huh?  There is a Kaplan close to me, so I thought that would be a way to get one-on-one vs. me on my own.  But maybe on my own with Powerscore is better even still?

I've learned so much from you guys in the 24 hours that I have joined this board, its incredible!

Also, someone asked earlier about the chances of me getting in at my firm.  Well, I think I have a good repor with them, but I have seen their requirements that they send to law schools when scouting.  Have to be cum laude, have to be on law review or journal, and have to be top 25% of class.  They only recruit from Top 100 schools. Maybe I would be an exception though given my prior history with the firm?

I think I would really like to get into prosecuting or in-house.  I've seen enough of the law office politics. Assocs get dumped on here, and they, in turn, dump on support staff.

Quit selling yourself short! What's your GPA right now? You're starting thinking about law school way earlier than most and have to opportunity to go anywhere you want! I did the same thing as com with self studying all the Powerscore material, however for some people self-study is not effective and a course is better suited for them. That all depends on your learning habits, however.

If you want to do prosecution or in-house counsel then why worry about the chance of getting employed at the firm that you work at?  From your post, it doesn't sound like it's a great place to work...

I think pretty much every firm only recruits from Top 100 schools, but you'll learn on this board that there is a huge difference between schools within that range.  I'm not talking night and day, I'm talking night and genesis.  There is a wealth of information on these boards, and then there is TimMitchell and Thales.  You will definitely come back for more.

Wait... why I am seperate from the wealth of knowledge

My current gpa is 3.7.  I did have a 4.0 until I got slammed with a B- on a class that everyone else failed and several students are appealing the grade administratively.

My firm really is great, but like most law firms who designate senior partners, partners, and associates, there is a todem pole and it is strictly enforced.  Sort of scares me. 

TimMitchell

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »
Approach Kaplan like you would approach someone with the plague.  Take a powerscore course or, better yet, just get powerscore books and study by yourself.  I recommend powerscore because it is what I use.  I have found it to be incredibly helpful and it provides more than enough strategy (as well as ACTUAL questions).  Go powerscore and you can't go wrong.

Very good to know, thanks!  I guess I was thinking one by one test prep schools will be shut down (lsat people thinking unfair advantage, I don't know).  But I didn't know the underlying story on Blueprint.

So stay away from Kaplan, huh?  There is a Kaplan close to me, so I thought that would be a way to get one-on-one vs. me on my own.  But maybe on my own with Powerscore is better even still?

I've learned so much from you guys in the 24 hours that I have joined this board, its incredible!

Also, someone asked earlier about the chances of me getting in at my firm.  Well, I think I have a good repor with them, but I have seen their requirements that they send to law schools when scouting.  Have to be cum laude, have to be on law review or journal, and have to be top 25% of class.  They only recruit from Top 100 schools. Maybe I would be an exception though given my prior history with the firm?

I think I would really like to get into prosecuting or in-house.  I've seen enough of the law office politics. Assocs get dumped on here, and they, in turn, dump on support staff.

Quit selling yourself short! What's your GPA right now? You're starting thinking about law school way earlier than most and have to opportunity to go anywhere you want! I did the same thing as com with self studying all the Powerscore material, however for some people self-study is not effective and a course is better suited for them. That all depends on your learning habits, however.

If you want to do prosecution or in-house counsel then why worry about the chance of getting employed at the firm that you work at?  From your post, it doesn't sound like it's a great place to work...

I think pretty much every firm only recruits from Top 100 schools, but you'll learn on this board that there is a huge difference between schools within that range.  I'm not talking night and day, I'm talking night and genesis.  There is a wealth of information on these boards, and then there is TimMitchell and Thales.  You will definitely come back for more.

Wait... why I am seperate from the wealth of knowledge

My current gpa is 3.7.  I did have a 4.0 until I got slammed with a B- on a class that everyone else failed and several students are appealing the grade administratively.

My firm really is great, but like most law firms who designate senior partners, partners, and associates, there is a todem pole and it is strictly enforced.  Sort of scares me. 

The best thing you can do is work on keeping that GPA as high as possible, maybe join a few groups for EC

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2008, 12:59:34 PM »

[/quote]

The best thing you can do is work on keeping that GPA as high as possible, maybe join a few groups for EC
[/quote]

I am really into debate and moot court (if that is even an option during undergrad) apparently, there are no groups at my school.  My pre-law advisor suggested I head one up, but with work and school and other things (I am on the board of directors for my local chapter of the sports car club of america and on a animal adoption rescue agency).  BTW, does volunteer stuff help me at all on an app?  Its not like a women's shelter or anything but . . . its something.

TimMitchell

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2008, 01:02:48 PM »

[/quote]

I am really into debate and moot court (if that is even an option during undergrad) apparently, there are no groups at my school.  My pre-law advisor suggested I head one up, but with work and school and other things (I am on the board of directors for my local chapter of the sports car club of america and on a animal adoption rescue agency).  BTW, does volunteer stuff help me at all on an app?  Its not like a women's shelter or anything but . . . its something.
[/quote]

All soft factors help a bit, but I'd suspect moot court and debate would be fine. Like I said before, soft factors typically only count marginally towards admissions compared with LSAT and GPA.

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »
Speaking of my B-, as I mentioned, other students have appealed the grade.  I do not know whether or not they have been sucecssful, but it is likely considering there is strength in numbers.  Should I jump on the bandwagon too or would this show up on my transcript and I would appear as though I am a difficult student?  Its a B- which i suppose isn't that bad, but it wrecked my 4.0  Can one ever get that back or make it up?

TimMitchell

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
Speaking of my B-, as I mentioned, other students have appealed the grade.  I do not know whether or not they have been sucecssful, but it is likely considering there is strength in numbers.  Should I jump on the bandwagon too or would this show up on my transcript and I would appear as though I am a difficult student?  Its a B- which i suppose isn't that bad, but it wrecked my 4.0  Can one ever get that back or make it up?

4.0 vs 3.7 can be a big deal in this day and age of grade inflation. If you appeal and aren't succesful would it really appear on your transcript? I doubt any school would look that closely even if it was, especially if you got a B-.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2008, 03:46:02 PM »
Check with your school's policies re: academic appeals.  I was on the Academic Appeals committee of my school, and we had very specific regulations that determined when and how one could appeal.  The date by which you must have submitted an appeal may have past.  Check into it. 

If you have JUSTIFIABLE reasons for pursuing an appeal and you can make a case, then do it.  From my experience it will likely be unsuccessful.  Typically there are so many things that a student could have done to impact his/her grade before the appeal level (speaking with the instructor in advance of the exam/paper/assignment, speaking with the instructor after the exam/paper/assignment, speaking with the department head, speaking with the faculty head, etc.).  I never sat on a case that was successfully appealed, but then again, I sat on the highest level board of appeals [meaning the appeal had been rejected twice before reaching us].
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2008, 03:57:09 PM »
I have until the end of this semester (so December) to file an appeal.  The issue is this:

Legal research class for paralegal program was scheduled to take place at the Notre Dame Library (I am a Indiana University - South Bend extension student).  Law Library was under construction and the professor that always taught the class bailed b/c he disagreed with IU that the class could be held without a law library. At the last minute they brought in some "of counsel" chick that is in her late 20s and it was obvious she did not want to teach the class.  She brought in one set of books for us to use and briefly flipped through them.  Several students complained not only to the prof but to the department head, yet nothing was done. Then the final came out which was worth 70% of our grade, and there were questions that were not addressed in the class, on the final.  They are now offering us the opportunity to come in for a 6 hour seminar on legal research, hoping to make up for the lack of knowledge gained from the failed 6-week summer session course. I asked to retake the course at the school's cost, and never received a response.  I was one of the students thath complained both prior to the final and before the final.  So what do you think?

TimMitchell

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2008, 04:09:52 PM »
I have until the end of this semester (so December) to file an appeal.  The issue is this:

Legal research class for paralegal program was scheduled to take place at the Notre Dame Library (I am a Indiana University - South Bend extension student).  Law Library was under construction and the professor that always taught the class bailed b/c he disagreed with IU that the class could be held without a law library. At the last minute they brought in some "of counsel" chick that is in her late 20s and it was obvious she did not want to teach the class.  She brought in one set of books for us to use and briefly flipped through them.  Several students complained not only to the prof but to the department head, yet nothing was done. Then the final came out which was worth 70% of our grade, and there were questions that were not addressed in the class, on the final.  They are now offering us the opportunity to come in for a 6 hour seminar on legal research, hoping to make up for the lack of knowledge gained from the failed 6-week summer session course. I asked to retake the course at the school's cost, and never received a response.  I was one of the students thath complained both prior to the final and before the final.  So what do you think?

Sounds like a good chance to appeal, but com seems like a better resource. I will say that if you retake the course LSAC will probably process your transcript with the B- factored in regardless of you retaking it and whether or not your UG calculates it into your GPA after the withdrawal