Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Terrified of the LSAT  (Read 8706 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Terrified of the LSAT
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 10:59:32 AM »
In the city in which I live which is 20 miles east of South Bend, most of our workers are laid off and our companies have shut down which is very, very scary.  South Bend is home to the AM General Plant (where they make hummers) so that's sort of a big deal, other than that, not much to boast about.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say that plant is next.  Hummers = the way of the dinosaurs.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 11:11:23 AM »
In the city in which I live which is 20 miles east of South Bend, most of our workers are laid off and our companies have shut down which is very, very scary.  South Bend is home to the AM General Plant (where they make hummers) so that's sort of a big deal, other than that, not much to boast about.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say that plant is next.  Hummers = the way of the dinosaurs.

Yep, I'm afraid you are right on that.  They make humvees too for the military, but if our entire government is broke, then that will be cut back as well.  Anyway, do not want to get into an economic debate, but def this part of the country and my part of the state is certainly feeling the "pinch."  (sucker punch).

TimMitchell

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 11:12:10 AM »

That is just silly, there is no way you could predict that the GM plant would be hit by an asteroid  ::)

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 11:14:59 AM »
I just read this:
Public Service Announcement

On September 12, the Los Angeles Superior Court ordered Blueprint to stop teaching LSAT courses as of October 4, 2008 and to cease offering its online prep materials to students immediately. This decision impacts all current and prospective Blueprint students. Kaplan recognizes the shut down could not have come at a worse time and wants to make sure you those students know what options are available to them. Most notably, Kaplan is allowing affected students to enroll in any Kaplan comprehensive course for the December LSAT free of charge or at a discount.

For more information on the Court order and on how Kaplan is aiding affected students, please visit Kaplan's website.

So should I be enrolling now, while I still can as a sophmore in my undergrad!? Yikes! I did intend on takign one of these!

TimMitchell

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 11:17:52 AM »
I just read this:
Public Service Announcement

On September 12, the Los Angeles Superior Court ordered Blueprint to stop teaching LSAT courses as of October 4, 2008 and to cease offering its online prep materials to students immediately. This decision impacts all current and prospective Blueprint students. Kaplan recognizes the shut down could not have come at a worse time and wants to make sure you those students know what options are available to them. Most notably, Kaplan is allowing affected students to enroll in any Kaplan comprehensive course for the December LSAT free of charge or at a discount.

For more information on the Court order and on how Kaplan is aiding affected students, please visit Kaplan's website.

So should I be enrolling now, while I still can as a sophmore in my undergrad!? Yikes! I did intend on takign one of these!

I believe Blueprint was shutdown because they were using test materials stolen from another company, the other big companies (Powerscore, Testmasters, Kaplan, Princeton Review) don't seem to be in any trouble. I don't know how I would feel about taking a course as a Sophmore, by the time you get around to taking the test you'll prob need to relearn it all anyway

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 11:18:17 AM »
Approach Kaplan like you would approach someone with the plague.  Take a powerscore course or, better yet, just get powerscore books and study by yourself.  I recommend powerscore because it is what I use.  I have found it to be incredibly helpful and it provides more than enough strategy (as well as ACTUAL questions).  Go powerscore and you can't go wrong.

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 11:30:51 AM »
Approach Kaplan like you would approach someone with the plague.  Take a powerscore course or, better yet, just get powerscore books and study by yourself.  I recommend powerscore because it is what I use.  I have found it to be incredibly helpful and it provides more than enough strategy (as well as ACTUAL questions).  Go powerscore and you can't go wrong.

Very good to know, thanks!  I guess I was thinking one by one test prep schools will be shut down (lsat people thinking unfair advantage, I don't know).  But I didn't know the underlying story on Blueprint.

So stay away from Kaplan, huh?  There is a Kaplan close to me, so I thought that would be a way to get one-on-one vs. me on my own.  But maybe on my own with Powerscore is better even still?

I've learned so much from you guys in the 24 hours that I have joined this board, its incredible!

Also, someone asked earlier about the chances of me getting in at my firm.  Well, I think I have a good repor with them, but I have seen their requirements that they send to law schools when scouting.  Have to be cum laude, have to be on law review or journal, and have to be top 25% of class.  They only recruit from Top 100 schools. Maybe I would be an exception though given my prior history with the firm?

I think I would really like to get into prosecuting or in-house.  I've seen enough of the law office politics. Assocs get dumped on here, and they, in turn, dump on support staff.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 11:48:12 AM »
If you want to do prosecution or in-house counsel then why worry about the chance of getting employed at the firm that you work at?  From your post, it doesn't sound like it's a great place to work...

I think pretty much every firm only recruits from Top 100 schools, but you'll learn on this board that there is a huge difference between schools within that range.  I'm not talking night and day, I'm talking night and genesis.  There is a wealth of information on these boards, and then there is TimMitchell and Thales.  You will definitely come back for more.

TimMitchell

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 11:51:56 AM »

Very good to know, thanks!  I guess I was thinking one by one test prep schools will be shut down (lsat people thinking unfair advantage, I don't know).  But I didn't know the underlying story on Blueprint.

So stay away from Kaplan, huh?  There is a Kaplan close to me, so I thought that would be a way to get one-on-one vs. me on my own.  But maybe on my own with Powerscore is better even still?

I've learned so much from you guys in the 24 hours that I have joined this board, its incredible!

Also, someone asked earlier about the chances of me getting in at my firm.  Well, I think I have a good repor with them, but I have seen their requirements that they send to law schools when scouting.  Have to be cum laude, have to be on law review or journal, and have to be top 25% of class.  They only recruit from Top 100 schools. Maybe I would be an exception though given my prior history with the firm?

I think I would really like to get into prosecuting or in-house.  I've seen enough of the law office politics. Assocs get dumped on here, and they, in turn, dump on support staff.

Quit selling yourself short! What's your GPA right now? You're starting thinking about law school way earlier than most and have to opportunity to go anywhere you want! I did the same thing as com with self studying all the Powerscore material, however for some people self-study is not effective and a course is better suited for them. That all depends on your learning habits, however.

If you want to do prosecution or in-house counsel then why worry about the chance of getting employed at the firm that you work at?  From your post, it doesn't sound like it's a great place to work...

I think pretty much every firm only recruits from Top 100 schools, but you'll learn on this board that there is a huge difference between schools within that range.  I'm not talking night and day, I'm talking night and genesis.  There is a wealth of information on these boards, and then there is TimMitchell and Thales.  You will definitely come back for more.

Wait... why I am seperate from the wealth of knowledge

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2008, 11:58:55 AM »

Quit selling yourself short! What's your GPA right now? You're starting thinking about law school way earlier than most and have to opportunity to go anywhere you want! I did the same thing as com with self studying all the Powerscore material, however for some people self-study is not effective and a course is better suited for them. That all depends on your learning habits, however.

Wait... why I am seperate from the wealth of knowledge

Lol.. I'm wondering the same thing.