Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Terrified of the LSAT  (Read 9046 times)

heyhithere

• View Profile
Re: Terrified of the LSAT
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 03:30:57 PM »
Yes a logic class or any analytic philosophy classes are great for LSAT stuff.  You'll get over the anxiety once you start practicing a lot.  There's no reason not to start now!  :)  

Also, don't sell yourself short on the score you want to get.  Given that you have plenty of time to practice and you seem to be clearly motivated, go for the gold.
The Dude Abides

TimMitchell

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 03:33:03 PM »
Have you completed a timed practice test yet?

Actually, I have not.  I have a practice book that I have been taking a few cracks at.  It includes a past test example that can be taken, which I plan to do in the next week or two.

I think LSAC has a free one online too. The good news is the test is very learnable and you have plenty of time to prepare. Although the test is very intimating at first many, if not most, get very comfortable with it after practice. Like others have said this board is an amazing resource as well. Good luck!

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
Great thanks for the advice!  I hope that once I get into the practice of taking LSAT practice tests, etc. I will feel more confident.  I am glad to know it is "learnable." 

I think like alot of people who did not pursue a collegiate program until many years after highschool (a fairly rock highschool career I might add), big tests and graduate programs seem intimidating. 

I have not said anything to my employers (who are all attorneys of course) about my aspirations, but would plan to when it comes to application time.  I am sure my immediate supervising attorneys would be willing to write a letter of recommendationf or me.  Is this helpful?  I read somewhere that the main thing schools look for is clues that the student will be committed to the program and will most likely succeed the entire 3 years and graduate, basically they have so many seats to fill and do not want to take a chance on someone that may drop out or flunk out.  My hope is that if my employer would write a letter indicating that I have been employed with their law firm for (by that time) 7 years, and that they were willing to take a gamble and pay my para school costs, it will help reassure admissions that I am worth taking the chance. Am I all wet?

TimMitchell

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 03:44:51 PM »
Great thanks for the advice!  I hope that once I get into the practice of taking LSAT practice tests, etc. I will feel more confident.  I am glad to know it is "learnable." 

I think like alot of people who did not pursue a collegiate program until many years after highschool (a fairly rock highschool career I might add), big tests and graduate programs seem intimidating. 

I have not said anything to my employers (who are all attorneys of course) about my aspirations, but would plan to when it comes to application time.  I am sure my immediate supervising attorneys would be willing to write a letter of recommendationf or me.  Is this helpful?  I read somewhere that the main thing schools look for is clues that the student will be committed to the program and will most likely succeed the entire 3 years and graduate, basically they have so many seats to fill and do not want to take a chance on someone that may drop out or flunk out.  My hope is that if my employer would write a letter indicating that I have been employed with their law firm for (by that time) 7 years, and that they were willing to take a gamble and pay my para school costs, it will help reassure admissions that I am worth taking the chance. Am I all wet?

I think you've got a good handle on the LOR, I would have two from professors and one from you work for schools that ask for three. Don't worry so much about these kind of "soft factors" now though, Law School admissions is largely a numbers game. That isn't to say that they don't count for anything, many people below the median scores of a law school have gotten in because of great soft factors or didn't get in because of a poor essay or something, but generally you chances of getting into any particular school will be determined only by your LSAT and GPA. I would focus on getting as high of a GPA as possible, study for the LSAT when you have time and maybe doing a couple extracurriculars. 

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »

I guess I just want to know, is it possible to go to a state law school with an lsat score around 150?  That is pretty average, right?

The LSAT is a necessary evil. Believe me I hate that freaking test, especially as a dyslexic person, but you have to take it. Prepare as best you can, give yourself several months of practice plus take a class. I had a 150 on the test and it made getting into law school near impossible. My first try yielded 2 acceptances out of 25 applications. My second attempt (with the same score) was much better as I applied part-time and had a new soft factor that basically made my score moot, other than for rankings, and since LSAT score are not used for rankings for part-time, I was able to get in about 70% of the schools I applied to the second time. Got in every PT program save one. Got into a bunch of T2’ and even a T1 off the waitlist. But I am the exception to the rule, don’t try to press your luck. Study for the exam as long as it takes to break 155 then take it. Do the best you can and that’s the best you can do, then evaluate from there.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 04:02:02 PM »
If you have any elective space or time take a Logic class at school or local community college. May help and its cheaper than a course.

I will def look into this.  We have a community college near where I live.  The cost per credit hour is around $95, so that wouldn't be too bad. 

$95 a credit hour. I guess in california we are spoiled with community college.

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 04:06:46 PM »

I guess I just want to know, is it possible to go to a state law school with an lsat score around 150?  That is pretty average, right?

Got in every PT program save one. Got into a bunch of T2’ and even a T1 off the waitlist.

What do these mean? T2, T1?

TimMitchell

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 04:10:50 PM »

Got in every PT program save one. Got into a bunch of T2’ and even a T1 off the waitlist.

Tier 1, 2 as ranked by US News

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 04:13:17 PM »

Ahhh, I see.  I just picked up a copy of the US News law rankings.  It was at a garage sale, so like 2004 version I believe.  Thought it had some helpful info.

TimMitchell

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 04:18:09 PM »

Ahhh, I see.  I just picked up a copy of the US News law rankings.  It was at a garage sale, so like 2004 version I believe.  Thought it had some helpful info.

They're free online too. Also you can find a lot of info about the schools and rankings at lawschoolnumbers.com