Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Terrified of the LSAT  (Read 9047 times)

angiej

• View Profile
Terrified of the LSAT
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:13:40 PM »
Hi everyone, I am new to this board and hope someone can give me some reassurance.  I am currently in my sophmore year of my undergraduate studies.  I have a paralegal certificate and have worked for a law firm for 4 years, in fact the law firm I am employed with has paid 80% of my paralegal certificate, however I am paying for my bachelors myself.  My major is political sciences and my minor is women's studies.  I have a 3.7gpa.  I am a very bad testaker and get hot flashes everytime I look at an LSAT practice question.  My critical thinking needs improvement, and I hope that once I fulfill my general education critical thinking requirment for my b.a., that will improve.  So my question is, how do I prepare, and is it too soon to prepare as I am only a sophmore? 

Also, and I hope to gain some reassurance here, how low can my LSAT score be and still be accepted to a decent state school? 

Thanks for your help!

SwEep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Terrified of the LSAT
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 02:22:41 PM »
Hi everyone, I am new to this board and hope someone can give me some reassurance.  I am currently in my sophmore year of my undergraduate studies.  I have a paralegal certificate and have worked for a law firm for 4 years, in fact the law firm I am employed with has paid 80% of my paralegal certificate, however I am paying for my bachelors myself.  My major is political sciences and my minor is women's studies.  I have a 3.7gpa.  I am a very bad testaker and get hot flashes everytime I look at an LSAT practice question.  My critical thinking needs improvement, and I hope that once I fulfill my general education critical thinking requirment for my b.a., that will improve.  So my question is, how do I prepare, and is it too soon to prepare as I am only a sophmore? 

Also, and I hope to gain some reassurance here, how low can my LSAT score be and still be accepted to a decent state school? 

Thanks for your help!

1 thing at a time sister. you are only a sophmore and have plenty of time to mature intellectually and study for the LSAT. Do well at school. Maintain that high GPA. Only you know when you should start studying. I advise you to take an LSAT course with other people and take it from there. If you are not good at standardized tests, that's something you have to overcome through practice. Give yourself plenty of time and take lots of prep tests leading up to the LSAT. Meanwhile, take it 1 at a time and just enjoy school and do well in it.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:26:27 PM »
It's great your thinking about this so early. I would suggest reading as much of this board as you can. Go through page after page, you'll get lots of great advice even in older threads. After reading a bunch you'll get to understand the process of applying, the reputations of diff. test prep companies, self study plans, etc. Good luck!
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »
Thank you for saying that its good I am thinking ahead.  I get really tired of people telling me to focus on my undergrad and that I may change my mind, etc.  I hate to admit this, but the entire reason for going ahead with my bachelors is specifically so that I can get into law school.  Sure, there is a pretty large possibility that I may not get in, etc. and then atleast I will have a bachelors to compliment my paralegal certificate, but I am pretty goal oriented and hell bent on law school.

I guess I just want to know, is it possible to go to a state law school with an lsat score around 150?  That is pretty average, right?

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 02:36:24 PM »
I think 155 would be a little closer to average. You should have confidence that with a few months of practice you'll have no prob. getting at least a 155.

Also, that was exactly my motivation to go back to school & finish undergrad.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 02:40:20 PM »
I think 155 would be a little closer to average. You should have confidence that with a few months of practice you'll have no prob. getting at least a 155.

Also, that was exactly my motivation to go back to school & finish undergrad.

Awesome, I like that answer! Thank you!

Also, am I chosing the "right" undergrad major?  I hear all the time that it really does not matter what the undergrad is, as long as its something you can keep your gpa up with and it looks impressive.  Well, government, politics, and of course Law are the only topics of interest to me and poli sci seemed like a good fit.  My school requires that College of Liberal Arts and Sciences must chose a minor.  I thought about philosophy, not because I would enjoy the subject matter but because I know it appears "impressive."  Women's studies has been of interest of me, but it was really the only thing on the list I thought I would enjoy. What are your thoughts?

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:43:34 PM »
If you have any elective space or time take a Logic class at school or local community college. May help and its cheaper than a course.

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 02:44:50 PM »
If you have any elective space or time take a Logic class at school or local community college. May help and its cheaper than a course.

I will def look into this.  We have a community college near where I live.  The cost per credit hour is around $95, so that wouldn't be too bad. 

TimMitchell

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »
Have you completed a timed practice test yet?

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 03:30:35 PM »
Have you completed a timed practice test yet?

Actually, I have not.  I have a practice book that I have been taking a few cracks at.  It includes a past test example that can be taken, which I plan to do in the next week or two.