Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ask a UMich 1L who doesn't know much yet  (Read 942 times)

Bungalow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Ask a UMich 1L who doesn't know much yet
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:11:02 PM »
Do it. I'll answer.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a UMich 1L who doesn't know much yet
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 02:15:17 PM »
Is Michigan as good as its reputation is helping students land top-level ADA and AUSA gigs?

10shot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 03:35:05 PM »
I'm trying to assess the pros and cons of the different living arrangements.  What do you know about the PHID house, Law Quad, graduate housing, and local apartments?  Which are you doing and what would you choose now based on what you know?

Also, have you felt swamped?  Do you think others have?
UMich class of 2012
Go Blue!

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »
The local apts are pretty expensive, and cooking food can be a bit of a pain in the butt. I prefer so-so food that's made for me instead of going all the way home at the end of a long day and cooking. But if you find cooking to be a break like some people do, then I guess that's different.

Not really any more expensive than the lawyer's club.  (qualified, of course, by how much you spend on food and whether you have roommates).

Based on what I know now, I'd still choose the LQ, but I'd try to get a nice big room on a low floor.

I did the opposite and went with an off campus apartment because at the end of the day I kind of like to go somewhere else (i.e., "home").  I had no trouble making friends or mingling or getting involved in whatever random social outings were going on.

Maybe I'm just not doing as much as I should.

No, sounds like you're doing it right.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

MLaw11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »
I don't feel swamped at all right now, and I don't get that vibe from any one else. It's pretty chill here. Not many "gunners" (as the lingo goes). Honestly, it's been a lot easier than I expected, but I guess you should really ask me a question like that in the middle of finals. Maybe I'm just not doing as much as I should.

Yeah, I feel the same way.  Then again, everyone else I've encountered seems to be doing more than I.

I'm living in the Lawyer's Club as well.  Although the local apts are fairly expensive, I'd be willing to bet that you save money that route.  Everything about the LC is geared toward convenience (location, cooking, bills, utilities, meeting people), not cost-effectiveness.  I'm happy with it, but I think the real question is how one feels after being holed up in here all winter.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 07:20:51 PM »
I don't feel swamped at all right now, and I don't get that vibe from any one else. It's pretty chill here. Not many "gunners" (as the lingo goes). Honestly, it's been a lot easier than I expected, but I guess you should really ask me a question like that in the middle of finals. Maybe I'm just not doing as much as I should.

Yeah, I feel the same way.  Then again, everyone else I've encountered seems to be doing more than I.

I'm living in the Lawyer's Club as well.  Although the local apts are fairly expensive, I'd be willing to bet that you save money that route.  Everything about the LC is geared toward convenience (location, cooking, bills, utilities, meeting people), not cost-effectiveness.  I'm happy with it, but I think the real question is how one feels after being holed up in here all winter.

I do feel swamped at times, but that's most an indictment of how much I screw around than anything else.  I think Bungalow will feel differently around finals time, but most of the semester you have time to do other things. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

augusta

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 07:35:12 PM »
Ender, you started in summer term, is that right? Can you, or anyone who has, talk a bit about finding living space that time of year? I'm wondering if it's more convenient to be in the LC for the first year rather than try to find an apartment; but then I don't know if LC is available for summer term, either.

Also re: summer term, I'm interested in hearing more about the benefits of that over fall. I know it's said to be quieter, a bit slower paced (one less class, I think), more of an opportunity to get to know faculty and other students. Anything else I'm missing on that list?
3.67/Oct. LSAT

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:00:59 PM »
Ender, you started in summer term, is that right? Can you, or anyone who has, talk a bit about finding living space that time of year? I'm wondering if it's more convenient to be in the LC for the first year rather than try to find an apartment; but then I don't know if LC is available for summer term, either.

Also re: summer term, I'm interested in hearing more about the benefits of that over fall. I know it's said to be quieter, a bit slower paced (one less class, I think), more of an opportunity to get to know faculty and other students. Anything else I'm missing on that list?

I don't know that I would say it was slower paced.  The classes were compacted, so there was more reading then than there is now, even though I have an additional class now.  Even so, it was really cool.  I had the best time of my life, and it would have been even better if I didn't live so far away from campus.  There's really nothing like it. 

You definitely do get really close with your section--you're the only ones there (outside of a few research assistants and senior judges) for the whole summer.  It's great having the school full now--there's a ton of things going on--but there's something special about having the run of the place for a while. 

I didn't have to find living space--I'm a commuter--but I know of people who did lots of different things.  Some got year leases (since they would be there until their first job next summer), some subbed in fall-starters' places while they were gone over the summer, some got apartments, etc. 

LSN

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 09:30:22 PM »

I don't know that I would say it was slower paced.  The classes were compacted, so there was more reading then than there is now, even though I have an additional class now.  Even so, it was really cool.  I had the best time of my life, and it would have been even better if I didn't live so far away from campus.  There's really nothing like it. 

You definitely do get really close with your section--you're the only ones there (outside of a few research assistants and senior judges) for the whole summer.  It's great having the school full now--there's a ton of things going on--but there's something special about having the run of the place for a while. 

I didn't have to find living space--I'm a commuter--but I know of people who did lots of different things.  Some got year leases (since they would be there until their first job next summer), some subbed in fall-starters' places while they were gone over the summer, some got apartments, etc. 

Ender, whats the deal with the summer program? Like what is the theory behind it, and what does the studying entail?

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 11:01:03 PM »

Ender, whats the deal with the summer program? Like what is the theory behind it, and what does the studying entail?

Many people think it is a remedial program, but that is absolutely not true.  It has been around for a long time (there are attorneys in their 70s and 80s at one of the firms I worked at that were summer starters).  Anyone who applies ED is automatically put in the summer, but you can request to start in the summer as well (as I did).  It has gotten very popular lately (they've been talking it up a lot, and people have started requesting it much more commonly), to the point where they had to ask some people to switch to fall this year, and we still have a few extra in our section. 

Summer starters have two doctrinal classes plus Legal Practice I in the summer, three doctrinal classes plus Legal Practice II in the fall, and then one doctrinal class plus electives in the winter.  That sounds like it would make the summer much easier, but so far that hasn't proven true (at least for me).  With the two classes, I typically had at least 50-60 pages per night to read, and sometimes more.  There are times now that I don't even have more than 20 to read.  Of course there is the extra class to worry about at finals time, so I'm sure that's going to be a little crazy, and there are days when there is more reading. 

I can't really say why the program started, but I can tell you that it was a wonderful experience.  Ann Arbor is great in the summer, and we had a blast getting to know each other (and acting like we owned the place).  I think you do get a little better chance to interact with your professors, since there is only the one section for them to deal with, and the administrators have nobody else to worry about but you, so they give you lots of attention too.  I really can't say enough good things about it.

Oh--one more thing.  I'll have two sets of grades and an extra semester under by belt by the time I'm trying to find a job this winter, so we'll see if that gives me a slight advantage in securing something that pays a little better.  I'll let you know!

LSN