Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: should I pursue law school?  (Read 1310 times)

ryansstats

• View Profile
should I pursue law school?
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:34:19 AM »
Get right to it:

GPA: 3.27
LSAT: 167
Major: poly scy
Kick in the balls: 15, yes, 15, withdrawals in the first two years(sporadic attendance, part time status, etc. Never got the boot officially).

Can I get anywhere worth attending? Thanks dudes and dudettes.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Re: should I pursue law school?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 09:01:22 AM »
How many of those Withdrawals are considered punitive by your school?
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

ryansstats

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:05:12 AM »
How many of those Withdrawals are considered punitive by your school?
to be honest I'm not really sure what that means. None were ordered by a professor, I just stopped attenting and withdrew from the courses myself, if that is what you're asking. Sorry.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 09:13:06 AM »
At my school, if you withdraw in the first week or so, nothing shows up on your transcript.  If you withdraw a month or so after that, a 'W' shows up on your transcript.  If you wait too long, a 'W-F' shows up.  Even though that 'W-F' might not get factored into your GPA at your school, LSAC considers all punitive withdrawals to be Fs and computes them as part of your average.  So... your GPA might not be what you think it is.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

TimMitchell

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 09:18:35 AM »
At my school, if you withdraw in the first week or so, nothing shows up on your transcript.  If you withdraw a month or so after that, a 'W' shows up on your transcript.  If you wait too long, a 'W-F' shows up.  Even though that 'W-F' might not get factored into your GPA at your school, LSAC considers all punitive withdrawals to be Fs and computes them as part of your average.  So... your GPA might not be what you think it is.

Yeah, mine got a bit hacked up do to something dumb like this. With a 167 you should get into decent schools with your GPA. No matter what just write an addendum explaining why, especially if it all happened early in your college career. It will prob still affect your admissions chances at some schools, so apply broadly if you are shooting for a specific type of school. My advice right now is get your transcript processed by LSAC and see what they do with it

ryansstats

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 09:21:22 AM »

No it's a W because I withdrew past the deadline where there wouldn't be a mark. I'm pretty sure that's not correct about LSAC transforming W's into F's.

ryansstats

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 09:30:54 AM »

Yeah, mine got a bit hacked up do to something dumb like this. With a 167 you should get into decent schools with your GPA. No matter what just write an addendum explaining why, especially if it all happened early in your college career. It will prob still affect your admissions chances at some schools, so apply broadly if you are shooting for a specific type of school. My advice right now is get your transcript processed by LSAC and see what they do with it

thanks man. I see the issue now, as they are W's and not w-f grades.

I'm actually shocked that you guys think it's reasonable that I could get into a decent school with all those W's.

Anybody want to throw a name out as to possible schools?

TimMitchell

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 09:33:40 AM »

thanks man. I see the issue now, as they are W's and not w-f grades.

I'm actually shocked that you guys think it's reasonable that I could get into a decent school with all those W's.

Anybody want to throw a name out as to possible schools?

Its really hard to say until your GPA is processed, check out chiashu.com or lawschoolnumbers.com to get a good idea

John_Roberts

• He is the most beautiful man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 11:44:27 AM »

Maybe the shock is coming from a difference in opinion about what constitutes a "decent" school.  Ryansstats, which law schools would you say are decent?
"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it." -Mitch Hedburg

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 02:04:51 PM »
Even if your W's are not punitive, law schools will not look at them favorably!