Law School Discussion

Offical Oct LSAT thread: Proving lawyers to be are neurotic messes

TimMitchell

Re: October LSAT thread
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2008, 09:03:48 AM »
Maybe I'll take the administration in order to lower the curve. I took a PT to see if i want to retake and got murdered. 

Hopefully I oculd at least offset if Jeffort or Earlcat decide to take it.

I say we start putting money together to get a bunch of people off the street to take the test cold

Yeah, I'll convince all my buddies at the MENSA local to take the test.  And I've got a few friends who can only talk about quantum physics and string theory - it'd be good to get them to start focusing on something else like the LSAT.

Yeah, but I bet they still get low scores if they take it cold! I'm thinking of sponsoring a few of my friends to take the test because they can't understand why it takes so long to prep for. At work when people wonder why I study for it so much I'll just print out the free PT LG section online and give it to them and say "This section has a 35 min time limit, I'll give you two hours and if you can get more than 75% right I'll but you a beer"... So far two people just looked at it and quit, one tried but gave up after like 15 min.

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2008, 10:38:08 AM »
First time in October. The prep has been going okay; there haven't been any miserable scores, but the range also isn't quite as high as I'd like it to be. I think I'm one of those schmucks who plans for his highest score to be on test day because the pressure is a good motivator or something.

Morning of plan is to get up super early, vent all of my anxiety on a thread here, take a walk, eat some cereal and a banana, do a game and a few LRs, drive to the test center, crank cheesy music in my car, and try to stay focused. Oh yeah, maybe throw in masturbation somewhere in there.

Totally jealous of all you jerks who get to drink after the test. None of my friends who are taking want to celebrate afterward because "we won't even know if we did well yet."  >:(

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2008, 10:45:46 AM »
Well go get drunk with people not taking the test! That's why I'm doing

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2008, 10:47:25 AM »
Or tell your friends you know you did well and drink by yourself  ;)

CTL

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2008, 11:03:31 AM »
Since when does one need to be celebrating to drink?  Back in my day, we drank because we were depressed...

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2008, 11:03:58 AM »
Does anyone in here every get pissed looking at the T14's median scores from years ago? I think most of us would be autoadmit if this was 1992  >:(
Yeah, I get kind of frustrated when I think about that. What really irks me is when I take the tests from back then and score 173 and then think, how in the heck did I score what I did in June?

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2008, 11:18:15 AM »
For the retakers, there is a chart on p 21 (19 by the doc's page numbering) of this doc from LSAC showing the average of how people with each individual score did on their retake.

http://www.lsac.org/pdfs/2008-2009/InformationBook08web.pdf

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2008, 11:19:16 AM »
Ooh thanks!

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2008, 11:20:42 AM »
For the retakers, there is a chart on p 21 (19 by the doc's page numbering) of this doc from LSAC showing the average of how people with each individual score did on their retake.

http://www.lsac.org/pdfs/2008-2009/InformationBook08web.pdf

That's interesting.

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2008, 11:33:12 AM »
Yeah. It looks like an average improvement of 2-3 points. Most people go up, but not everyone.

Some observations:
-- The closer you are to 180, the less you tend to go up.(Advice: Don't retake a 177...)
-- A low percentage of people actually stayed the same (<10%)
-- The Std. Deviation, which is the average distance each scorer moved from the original score, is high (between 4 and 5). Prepare for that, either way.