Law School Discussion

Significant Others

Significant Others
« on: September 23, 2008, 01:14:26 PM »
Anyone out there having struggles by applying to law schools and trying to factor in their significant other?  My boyfriend is an aerospace engineer, and has no idea where he could end up.

Any advice on how to handle the situation?

Re: Significant Others
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 01:53:40 PM »
I am. My bf is an engr at Boeing. I might not be going to school in Seattle...it is proving to be difficult and he is supportive but does not understand the time commitment in studying for the LSAT and applying to law school.

TimMitchell

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 03:04:33 PM »
I am. My bf is an engr at Boeing. I might not be going to school in Seattle...it is proving to be difficult and he is supportive but does not understand the time commitment in studying for the LSAT and applying to law school.

You'll have to change your screen name

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 03:06:05 PM »
I know it will be sad. But perhaps I will stay here...who knows?! Kind of exciting

casper13

• Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 03:40:22 PM »
If they arent hip to your program then leave em, your independent and dont need em if your going to LS. I saw screw all SO of any sort who dont jump on the LS train with you. Yeah me and mine of 3 years just ended so im a bit bitter sorry.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 03:46:16 PM »
Yea, boyfriend for 2+ years over here, still going to law school wherever the best law school accepts me regardless of his job location. Unless you're married/engaged, my take on the situation is career > significant other. Luckily, my sig other thinks the same way, so I don't feel guilty about it.

I'm young though (relatively speaking), so my view might not apply to others. Until I have a stable job and make enough money to pay my own rent and groceries, internet and pet food, my significant other is not as important as how I'm going to get my paycheck. Period.

(Assumption: sig other isn't a sugar daddy writing that check.)

He/She should understand. If not, time to move on.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 04:03:39 PM »
4+ years.  We don't even live in the same place now, because he lives in the middle of nowhere for grad school and I refuse to move there and work at a walmart or something just to be with him.  However, if I get into law school there I would go bc its a good school (depending on my other offers).  If not, it'll be another 3-4 years without him-  depending on how long it takes us to graduate.  And then of course it's finding jobs in the same city.  But definitely choose law school over SOs I would say.  Hmmm. I guess I'm not a romantic?  ;)

TimMitchell

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 04:05:22 PM »
4+ years.  We don't even live in the same place now, because he lives in the middle of nowhere for grad school and I refuse to move there and work at a walmart or something just to be with him.  However, if I get into law school there I would go bc its a good school (depending on my other offers).  If not, it'll be another 3-4 years without him-  depending on how long it takes us to graduate.  And then of course it's finding jobs in the same city.  But definitely choose law school over SOs I would say.  Hmmm. I guess I'm not a romantic?  ;)

How long have you guys been apart now? Do you travel to see him a lot? I couldn't imagine having a long distance relationship, I'm sooo glad my SO is willing to come with me.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 04:09:42 PM »

How long have you guys been apart now? Do you travel to see him a lot? I couldn't imagine having a long distance relationship, I'm sooo glad my SO is willing to come with me.

One year so far.  We see each other every month or every other month.  It was really hard at first.  But we both keep busy, and neither of us are extremely needy or anything, so it's worked out ok.  He understands why I don't want to live there, and he supports me in that.  I'm sure he'd feel the same way.  1L will be hard if we aren't in the same place, because I don't think I could take off that much to see him.  But, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

TimMitchell

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 04:15:22 PM »

One year so far.  We see each other every month or every other month.  It was really hard at first.  But we both keep busy, and neither of us are extremely needy or anything, so it's worked out ok.  He understands why I don't want to live there, and he supports me in that.  I'm sure he'd feel the same way.  1L will be hard if we aren't in the same place, because I don't think I could take off that much to see him.  But, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Well it sounds like you guys are pretty dedicated and level headed, much more than the "@#!* HER IF SHE DOSEN'T WANT TO COME WITH ME" or "Career>Love" people. Living apart wouldn't work for me, and it DEF wouldn't work for my GF (kinda clingy), but I've known people who've done it...