Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR help  (Read 1190 times)

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
LOR help
« on: September 23, 2008, 01:37:50 PM »
Here’s the deal: I asked my boss 2 months ago for a LOR. He has been an atty for 41 years, very well known in the area, alum of one of the schools I would really like to attend.  I reminded him over the weekend (very politely) that I would like it asap. He told me to put my modesty aside, write the letter and that he would put stuff in and change as needed. I had no idea that he would do this; it is too late now to ask anyone else. And so I am just going to do it like he wants, only I cannot think of anything to say. Please help!!

Bhpreppy

• View Profile
Re: LOR help
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 02:09:32 PM »
I'm kind of in the same boat...I need to write up an academic LOR, and have my professor edit it with anything else she wants to put in there. Do you want to swap drafts? I'm also studying for the October LSAT so I don't know if I can have it ready before then. Let me know what you think!

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 02:17:55 PM »
Yeah that would be fine to swap. I am studying for the Oct test too. However, I would really like to have the applications that I am going to be using this letter for by Oct. 1, so I am kind of in a hurry. :(

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 02:47:55 PM »
You're kidding!  You can't think of things that you did at your office that warrant attention?!  I would hope that you know better than your boss what you do on a daily basis, and what contributions you make.  You asked your boss to write you a letter, so you're comfortable that his more limited knowledge of your potential/acheievements would suffice.  You should be even more comfortable with what you YOURSELF would write! 

Make sure you use strong language: 'Seattlegirl consistently demonstrates her exceptional motivation and attention to detail in her position.  Whenever she is asked to ______ she asks how high...'  This is a gift.  Take advantage of it!!
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 02:55:03 PM »
You're kidding!  You can't think of things that you did at your office that warrant attention?!  I would hope that you know better than your boss what you do on a daily basis, and what contributions you make.  You asked your boss to write you a letter, so you're comfortable that his more limited knowledge of your potential/acheievements would suffice.  You should be even more comfortable with what you YOURSELF would write! 

Make sure you use strong language: 'Seattlegirl consistently demonstrates her exceptional motivation and attention to detail in her position.  Whenever she is asked to ______ she asks how high...'  This is a gift.  Take advantage of it!!

Of course I can think of things that I do at my job and qualities that I possess that I want to include. I asked him to write a letter for me because he is an excellent attorney and he knows that I am fantastic at my job and has encouraged me to go to law school. I am just worried that it will sound too much like my other writing. I also do not want to sound to cocky to my boss. And it just feels like one more thing that I was not planning to stress and worry about.

redstone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 02:56:33 PM »
I recently got some advice on this front from and advisor who's been doing this stuff for years and has read hundreds (thousands?) of LORs.  She said that action must always be first and foremost.  A good LOR is more verbs than adjectives.  It's easy to say "Seattlegirl has a superb intellect and a caring soul" but hard evidence to back that up is critical to set you apart from the crowd.

If you have some writing he's done, try to mimic the voice, or at the very least, try to shake up your own writing voice for this one.  A few commas where you wouldn't ordinarily put them (or an extra parenthetical or two) can't hurt.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 03:52:50 PM »
I recently got some advice on this front from and advisor who's been doing this stuff for years and has read hundreds (thousands?) of LORs.  She said that action must always be first and foremost.  A good LOR is more verbs than adjectives.  It's easy to say "Seattlegirl has a superb intellect and a caring soul" but hard evidence to back that up is critical to set you apart from the crowd.

If you have some writing he's done, try to mimic the voice, or at the very least, try to shake up your own writing voice for this one.  A few commas where you wouldn't ordinarily put them (or an extra parenthetical or two) can't hurt.

I would agree, but make sure that you do put in fairly strong language.  It is important not to write a 'satisfactory' letter about yourself.  Your letter should use some well-chose adjectives to stress the efficacy of your performance of the verbs. 

I'm sorry if my first post came off as bitchy or condescending.  I was not trying to disparage you - I just wanted to highlight the positive side of this opportunity.  I would feel awkward writing my own LOR as well.  Since your boss put you in this situation, however, he is most likely comfortable with you writing your own.  I'm sure an experienced attorney will understand that you are trying to put your best foot forward and will not feel as though you are being cocky.  Make sure you don't claim anything that you didn't do, but dress up the achievements you accomplished.  If a certain adjective seems too strong, I'm sure he'll take it down a notch.  However, if one doesn't seem strong enough, it's doubtful he'll crank it up.  That is why I believe you should take advantage of praising yourself with as much charity as possible. 

I'll be happy to read your LOR if you want..
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 03:56:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I think that you are right, I should see it as a gift and run with it. It has to say something about my writing ability that he thinks I am capable of doing it myself.