Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Early Decision to a school that is possibly a long shot?  (Read 653 times)

wonderwall

• View Profile
Early Decision to a school that is possibly a long shot?
« on: September 23, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »
I was considering applying to Northwestern Early Decision. Currently my LSAT is a 162 (retaking 10/4), everything else is great. Would applying ED hurt may chances for the regular admission cycle (possibly get denied or waitlisted earlier?). And clearly, this also has a lot to do with my second LSAT score, which I don't have yet...

Any thoughts on chances with ED are appreciated. Thanks!

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Early Decision to a school that is possilby a long shot?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 01:08:13 PM »
You should have your LSAT score well before the ED deadline.  At NU, it is 12/01.  The interviewing period ends on 11/15.  You should have your LSAT score for October by the end of October. 

Wait until you have that score to decide what to do.  NU accepts the higher of two scores.  If you get a 171-172, then I wouldn't apply ED.  If you pull off a 168-170, then I would do it if it's your number-one choice.  Applying ED has advantages and disadvantages.  Applying ED will not HURT your chances at getting accepted - it will HELP your chances at getting accepted.  It WILL hurt your chances of getting offered merit aid. 

Best strategy: kill the LSAT, wait for the score, get the app in early regardless of how you choose to proceed.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.