Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NALP Travel reimbursement?  (Read 1400 times)

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
NALP Travel reimbursement?
« on: September 23, 2008, 08:43:06 AM »
O.k. I am a little confused. I go to school in Illinois and have received an offer of an interview at the Miami SAO. I would really like to get this job, however, since I have a family and these things bills my travel fun is a little depleted. Anyway, I knew they wouldn't reimburse for travel.

I was talking to a friend at school and she mentioned something about NALP reimbursing for travel if you interview with one of the employers listed on their site. Does anyone know if this is true? I looked at the website and, although I was tired, from what I could tell it was for private firms and it was for the firms to reimburse and not NALP.

Anyone have information?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: NALP Travel reimbursement?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:23:18 AM »
FWIW, I have never in my life ever heard of NALP reimbursing anyone for interview expenses.  As far as I'm aware, every single firm and employer has their own policy on if, when, and how to reimburse for expenses arising out of interviewing.

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:25:03 AM »
That is what I thought too. I thought I would atleast try to look into it a little. She seemed pretty sure of it and has been a good source of information before. However, I had never heard of it nor has anyone else..

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 10:15:18 AM »
There is a NALP reimbursement form, but from what I can tell, it's used when a student interviews with multiple firms on one trip, and the form is used by all such firms to prorate their contribution/reimbursement to the student.  This way, one firm doesn't pay for the entire trip.  Maybe this is what your friend was talking about?  It really sounds like she was confused.

Best place to go and get a definitive answer is probably your career services office - your adviser can probably clarify.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 10:24:36 AM »
You still use the NALP form if you only interview with one firm.  It's just given to the firm and then they reimburse you.

However, if they told you they weren't going to reimburse you, then that is that....

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »
You still use the NALP form if you only interview with one firm.  It's just given to the firm and then they reimburse you.

However, if they told you they weren't going to reimburse you, then that is that....

Thanks for the clarification - I never used it since I only interviewed in my home market and never really incurred any expenses.