Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP!!! TOPICS FOR PS!!  (Read 1107 times)

kaddeyshack

• View Profile
    • Email
HELP!!! TOPICS FOR PS!!
« on: September 23, 2008, 03:53:29 AM »
SO, I HAVE 2 MAIN THINGS THAT I WANT TO TALK ABOUT BUT, NOT SURE HOW.

1.  I FEEL THAT IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT TO MENTION THAT I WAS RAISED WITHOUT MY FATHER, AND THAT MY MOM AND GRANDMA RAISED ME, IT MADE ME WHO I AM TO THIS DAY AND I HONESTLY WOULD NOT HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY, BUT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE IN THIS POSITON

2.  I HAVE A MORTUARY SCIENCE BACKGROUND, I DID AUTOPSIES AND GOT ACCEPTED INTO ONE OF THE BEST PROGRAMS IN THE NATION FOR IT, BUT THEN SOON REALIZED I HATED IT..I WAS BORED OUT OF MY FN MIND...SO I DROPPED OUT... IT WAS NOT ENOUGH OF A CHALLENGE FOR ME...I FEEL THAT THIS IS IMPORTANT TO MENTION BECAUSE IT SOMEWHAT EXPLAINS WHY MY TRANSCRIPTS ARE ALL MESSED UP....ALOT OF CHEMISTRY AND BIOLOGY THEN A WHOLE SEMESTER OF W/D THEN CRIMINAL JUSTICE...I REALIZE THAT MENTIONING THIS COULD  HAVE NEGATIVE EFFECTS AGAINST ME...THE LAW SCHOOLS MAY THINK THAT I WILL DROP OUT IF ACCEPTED DUE TO BEING BORED...WHICH WOULD NOT HAPPEN.

HOW DO I TALK ABOUT THIS STUFF...IS IT EVEN WORTH TALKING ABOUT IN MY PS?

WHAT SHOULD I TALK ABOUT?

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!! TOPICS FOR PS!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 04:06:25 AM »
Whatever you do, please don't type with all caps. You also over use ellipses.

Mention the dropping out stuff in an addendum. Don't mention boredom as your reason for dropping out. Is your mortuary science background from highschool? The way "2." is worded it doesn't seem as if you have anything other than just a general BA.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 06:16:13 PM »
I HAVE A MORTUARY SCIENCE BACKGROUND

Honestly I don't see law school being much different
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

TimMitchell

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:19:45 PM »
SO, I HAVE 2 MAIN THINGS THAT I WANT TO TALK ABOUT BUT, NOT SURE HOW.

1.  I FEEL THAT IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT TO MENTION THAT I WAS RAISED WITHOUT MY FATHER, AND THAT MY MOM AND GRANDMA RAISED ME, IT MADE ME WHO I AM TO THIS DAY AND I HONESTLY WOULD NOT HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY, BUT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE IN THIS POSITON

2.  I HAVE A MORTUARY SCIENCE BACKGROUND, I DID AUTOPSIES AND GOT ACCEPTED INTO ONE OF THE BEST PROGRAMS IN THE NATION FOR IT, BUT THEN SOON REALIZED I HATED IT..I WAS BORED OUT OF MY FN MIND...SO I DROPPED OUT... IT WAS NOT ENOUGH OF A CHALLENGE FOR ME...I FEEL THAT THIS IS IMPORTANT TO MENTION BECAUSE IT SOMEWHAT EXPLAINS WHY MY TRANSCRIPTS ARE ALL MESSED UP....ALOT OF CHEMISTRY AND BIOLOGY THEN A WHOLE SEMESTER OF W/D THEN CRIMINAL JUSTICE...I REALIZE THAT MENTIONING THIS COULD  HAVE NEGATIVE EFFECTS AGAINST ME...THE LAW SCHOOLS MAY THINK THAT I WILL DROP OUT IF ACCEPTED DUE TO BEING BORED...WHICH WOULD NOT HAPPEN.

HOW DO I TALK ABOUT THIS STUFF...IS IT EVEN WORTH TALKING ABOUT IN MY PS?

WHAT SHOULD I TALK ABOUT?

At least the corpses wouldn't mind you shouting at them

blairchuckalways

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN data
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »
This thread makes me smile.

TimMitchell

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:02:53 PM »
Whatever you do, please don't type with all caps. You also over use ellipses.

Mention the dropping out stuff in an addendum. Don't mention boredom as your reason for dropping out. Is your mortuary science background from highschool? The way "2." is worded it doesn't seem as if you have anything other than just a general BA.

I have to say that I over use ellipses a bit as well...

pre_JD_2be

• PM me! I'll read your PS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 11:25:04 PM »
Whoa!

The best PS topics are gonna be those where you are acting, not those where you are being acted upon. So, topic 1, although done a lot in personal statements, is actually not a great PS topic--precisely because it is about what happened to you, and not about something you did.

Also, topic 1 is more of an undergrad PS statement topic. For a law PS, generally you want to write about something you did as an adult and recently--not something that happened to you when you were a kid.

This doesn't mean you couldn't fit in a mention of your family background in whatever PS you do write. It would have to fit gracefully--but an aside like "Growing up without a father at home made XY&Z even more challenging" or "AB&C is the particular outcome of my having been raised by my grandmother." So you could slide the subject in without focusing your essay on it, in other words.

You could probably write a really intriguing PS about mortuary science...or a really dreadful PS. You should probably try it out and see.

Get crackin'! October is roaring up here--gotta get that LSDAS file complete--

rush the rushdie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 01:03:54 PM »
Quote from: kaddeyshack on September 23, 2008, 04:53:29 AM
THE LAW SCHOOLS MAY THINK THAT I WILL DROP OUT IF ACCEPTED DUE TO BEING BORED...WHICH WOULD NOT HAPPEN.

how do u know this for sure, and how will/can u prove this to a law school?

(btw, to both questions, you can't.)