Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1st Month Thoughts  (Read 5315 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1st Month Thoughts
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 01:53:30 AM »

Man there is the older guy (50's) in my class who talks at least 5-6 times a class period. So much so that when he raises his hand my Contracts Prof pretends to be a flak gunner on a battleship, funny stuff. The best part is that the old guy doesn't seem to get it and the Professor is Professor Smoot from The Rainmaker, for reals.

http://www.law.memphis.edu/faculty/smoot.htm

You're taking a huge risk that the old dude from you class doesn't read the forums! How funny would it be if the next time he saw you he was like "I'm 47 and I got the flak gunner reference, just so you know..."?

Who cares, he's a gun-bag. @#!* 'em.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »
I think law school is fun.  The workload is heavy, but do-able.  I think some people aren't keeping up, but it is more because they're lazy and aren't really trying to keep up.  They also seem to be the people who are in law school either because 1) Daddy insisted and is paying for it or 2) They didn't know what else to do after UG.

LRW is rough.  I agree that it should be worth more.  Still, I think it is extremely important and I'm doing my best.  Bluebooking is fun in a sick, sad sort of way.

There are definitely some know-it-alls.  I'm not sure if I'd classify them as all out gunners yet, but they're getting pretty close.  I particularly hate the ones who try to play "gotchya" with the Profs (like they've thought of a brilliant argument that the Prof hasn't after teaching this subject for 20 years) or the "What-ifs" who drag the class discussions into crazy hypo-land and get way off-topic in the process.  Some of the questions are just so irrelevant!  Shut up and listen or go see the Prof during office hours if you want to ask an off-topic question.  You don't sound as brilliant as you think you do.

Also, I've also noticed that at this point there only seems to be two groups- the one who are really lost and everybody else.  I think it is too early to pick out the ones who will rise to the top, but I can bet I could pick out a few who will almost certainly be in the bottom half.  They just have no clue what they have no clue about.  Maybe I'm wrong- what do I know?

The social aspects...hmm...everyone still seems to be pretty nice at my school.  I think there are some minor annoyances, but that's to be expected with a large group that spends so much time together in a pressure-cooker.  No real gossip or if there is I'm not a party to it.  (Hey wait...maybe they're talking about me?)
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2008, 12:27:58 PM »
3L here.

Most of you folks seem to be adjusting well. A few suggestions, most of which I learned in hindsight.

1) Spend the amount of time you need to do as well as you can in LRW. This will likely be your writing sample, and writing samples help you get jobs. Besides, if your LRW is graded, some interviewers will take note if you do well. However, don't tank in your substantive classes b/c you're re-writing your memo for the 13th time.

2) Don't run out of steam. This is a marathon that culminates in a sprint. Save some juice for outlining and studying in the two weeks that run up to exams.

3) Don't worry about appearing smart to profs and fellow students. "I don't know" is often the best answer, even you get beat down for it by the prof. He/she would rather see you do that than get a C on his/her exam.

4) Avoid large study groups. Anything over three is large. Inevitably as a 1L, you rope in some know-it-all who will really screw up your outline. Or, you get someone so much smarter or dumber than you; the group will then move too fast or too slow for your taste. Do use small study groups early to see if they're helpful. If they are, stick with your crew. Avoid discussing grades with those in your study groups.

5) Use treatises. However, talk to folks that have had your prof before to find out whether a) a treatise will be helpful at all and b) if helpful, which one's the best fit.

6) Profs are people too. Talk to them when you don't get it--and when you think you do. If you're concerned and have the time, grab old exams and review them with him/her.

7) Look at the big picture. There are only a half dozen key sub-areas in each of your classes. Know what they are and have something to say about each on your exam. Look at your syllaboy and the TOCs of each text; what's the prof doing? Why?

8) Sleep, eat, talk to your family, spend time with your sig other. Go see movies, go clubbing, dance your pants off. Make time: it decreases crash-and-burn likelihood? HOW!!?  Give yourself at least one full day off each week. If you work smart, you can actually get all the stuff you NEED to do into a standard five-day workweek.

9) DO NOT WORRY ABOUT WHAT ANYBODY ELSE IS DOING. You're number one. Be kind and respectful of others, but never let them rent space in your head.

10) Go to networking events, even if you're socially inept. Don't worry, many lawyers are awkward. Yes, 5% of your classmates are very quiet, get great grades, and land GREAT jobs: chances are you won't be one of these. Great opportunities arrive when you least expect it, so smile, shake hands, and eat some free food. (But, don't try to do the food/drink at the same time thing, cuz then shaking hands becomes awkward.) (Always wear your nametag on your right lapel.)

11) Don't be "that guy." He doesn't get a job. Don't get too drunk, don't sleep with your professors (or too many of your classmates), don't go to class when you have the plague, don't talk poo on people, don't talk about grades, and don't drag around a massive wheelie-bag. Do shower every day, do put clothes on that don't make you look like a harlot,  and do talk to people and make friend.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2008, 03:44:07 PM »

11) Don't be "that guy." He doesn't get a job. Don't get too drunk, don't sleep with your professors (or too many of your classmates), don't go to class when you have the plague, don't talk poo on people, don't talk about grades, and don't drag around a massive wheelie-bag. Do shower every day, do put clothes on that don't make you look like a harlot,  and do talk to people and make friend.

You forgot one: don't tell other people what they should not do.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

TimMitchell

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2008, 04:51:25 PM »

You need to work on your ethnics and not hating everything

High Life

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2008, 05:03:25 PM »
Where are all the T14 students with their first month thoughts? probably living the high life.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2008, 05:38:28 PM »

Someone has a wheelie bag.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2008, 06:27:27 PM »

and I talk about grades!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2008, 09:19:11 PM »

and I talk about grades!

Noooo! I don't talk about grades at all. I don't even want to HEAR OTHER PEOPLE talking about their grades. Personal preference I guess.

One thing for the 1Ls: "Not getting it" is part of law school. If you never have moments where you're confused about how everything is supposed to fit together, then you're probably missing something. I found that my worst grades the whole year were in classes where I felt like I understood everything the whole time.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2008, 09:24:30 PM »
and I talk about the test right after its over