Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1st Month Thoughts  (Read 5318 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
1st Month Thoughts
« on: September 22, 2008, 09:29:16 PM »
Last Friday marked a month in the game for me, and here's my thoughts, for anyone curious:

2 credits for legal writing is bull. I spend more time on that class than anything else. It should be either ungraded or worth 3-4 credits.

And legal writing seems like a waste of time. Don't get me wrong, it seems valuable, but so much of it is hand holding and covering minutia in intricate detail. It actually reminds me why I never liked any of my English classes in high school or UG.

Most of the gunner-douches have subsided into the background. I suppose a month of getting Socratized will do that to you.

Speaking of which, I've managed to dodge the Socratic bullet so far. Not sure how, but I'm not complaining. Problem is, I know it's coming and I'll probably get hit in 3 different classes in 1 day.

A lot of the people that thought they were Billy Badass and too good for FSU a month ago are the same people that are thinking they'll finish around the median this month. Subsequently, virtually all talk of transferring to GULC+ from them has subsided.

Exams are already starting to freak some people out.

BarBri seems like it's going to be worth every cent, and that's just based on what I have and have not gotten out of my classes so far.

A few people are already starting to mark themselves out as possible law school flunkies, no one is running away with the show, and everyone else seems to just be kind of lumping together in the middle at the moment.

Which is nice because everyone seems pretty helpful to everyone else. There's virtually no poor behavior between people that I've observed so far. People are willing to share notes and talk about things with one another. Seriously not competitive at all right now, but very cooperative.

And that's all for this time, unless I think of something else.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Month Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »
Nice thread.

I have mixed feelings so far.

The competition.

It seems awfully competitive.  Don't get me wrong, going into this, I knew it would be, but now that I'm here, I feel the tension in the air.  I've heard on more than one occasion, something to the effect of "I'm going to be in the top 10% of the class."  They say they're going to work harder than everyone else, study smarter, etc.

The gunners.

There are a lot of them.  And in my class, they all tend to be male.  Well, I guess I was exaggerating by the word "a lot."  There are probably four to five gunners, and then there are other who speak frequently, but their comments tend to either be thoughtful or they have good questions about the material (I don't mind them so much).

The workload.

Certainly manageable.  I keep up with the reading, and I do ALL of it (unlike underg. =D).  Took me awhile to figure out a system where I could be "comfortable" but after about a month, I think I have figured it out.  I'm not stressing myself out so much to know every little detail of these cases anymore.

Legal writing.

I'm with Ninja, partially.  I think a lot of it does seem very much like "hand-holding."  Does everyone else's school make them "go through the books" and do all the beginning assignments only through library research?  It is a lot of work, seems valuable, but I feel ashamed to say that since this stuff in the beginning isn't graded per se, I'm having a hard time being motivated.  I'm sure that will change this week once we get our first "real research" assignment.

The teachers.

I'm happy with all my teachers.  They're all smart, and they seem to communicate fairly well.  No real complaints.  My section got lucky with teachers, the other section has been complaining a lot.

Friendships.

The gossip has started to fly.  I stay out of all that stuff generally, but still interesting nonetheless.

Socratic method.

I haven't been called on, except once to answer a torts hypo. (which i got right! haha, it was easy, though).

Finals.

Not much talk yet about finals.  There have been talks about study groups, etc.  And some have started meeting and doing hypotheticals.  I study on my own mostly.

All in all, this hasn't been a great big shock to my system.  It's been manageable.  I rather enjoy learning about the law.  I like my classmates.  I just don't want to be too shocked once I see my finals.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 01:02:26 AM »
Initially, we had a lot of transfer gunners and a lot of people that talked about how sure they were they were going to be at the top of the class. After a month though, they've all politely shut the @#!* up and are now being nice and quiet. Life is good.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:32:02 AM »
My school doesn't seem competitive at all. Classmates, feel free to chime in.

We have some VERY EXCESSIVELY CHATTY/ANNOYING people in every class (can I leave notes in their chair or something?) but no one seems to "get it" more than I do (which is marginally at best). Their gunnerisms indicate lack of socialization rather than intellectual superiority.
I do wish people would save their imaginative hypos for office hours rather than lecture...

I don't feel 100% on my *&^% but I also don't feel that anyone else is at all better situated than I am. 

And I love most of my classmates, in part to LSD.

I agree with this post 100%.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 09:51:46 AM »
So far, it hasn't been that bad, although 3 of our professors decided to add a bunch of extra classes this week :(

Competition-I haven't seen much competition so far, although from several people I've talked to, it sounds like everyone's secretly reading extra supplements and outlines and not talking about all the work they're actually doing.

Gunners-Haven't noticed many gunners at all actually...so sadly no gunner bingo  ;D

Workload-Workload hasn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be, although I'm confident it will get worse. I've been done before 8 everyday, and I've discovered that working through lunch hour actually gets a lot accomplished.

Professors-I like all my professors except one, who speaks very softly, kind of mumbles, and loses control of the class very easily. Often during that class she can't even get a word in because people keep freaking out and asking question after question.

Social scene-feels like freshman year of college, lots of drinking, lots of parties, it's been fun and I really like my classmates, but it seems a little too college, and not like professional school

Socratic method-got called on yesterday for the first time...and of course, the professor asks, not about the cases for today, but the cases from weeks ago that I definitely don't remember :( oh well, it wasn't that bad

Legal Writing- turned in our first memo, starting legal research this week for our next memo (the one that's actually graded), kind of wish this class was pass/fail like at other schools...

So far, love my school though, the first month has not been as bad as I thought it would be

With regards to the first part in bold, I definitely think this is the case at my school.  I've begun looking at a few supplements (E&E's), and as I ask around, I find that a lot of people have been using things from the very beginning.  Definitely a strong indicator of competition.

I don't do the party scene too much, but I really haven't heard about any either.  Every week, the law school meets up at a bar, but I don't think it gets terribly out of hand.

When are you guys going to start thinking about finals and outlining?

I thought October was standard to start outlines.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 10:23:06 AM »
I've actually enjoyed law school quite a bit so far. My school is a very relaxed school and while you can feel a bit of nervous tension, I think it's more from people just being worried they won't get anything rather than people gunning for the top of the class.

We don't have many gunners, which is nice. We did have one or two people who had to insert their opinion into everything, but they at least didn't seem like they were trying to impress the professor; they merely had an opinion and liked to talk. That did get a bit annoying, but most of it has subsided by now.

I really like all my professors. Like 'changed name,' we got all the good teachers. I've heard the other section didn't get so lucky. Maybe we're in the same section! =)

I also thought the workload would be more intense. I don't have too much free time on my hands or anything, but I'm also not killing myself. I actually feel like I'm learning something too (analytical skills) as opposed to the last two years of undergrad where I felt like I was beating my head against the wall.

The drinking is pretty crazy too. Most of our school functions have alcohol that is provided by the school. I swear there's a handful of people in the class the ONLY care about partying, etc. Those are the ones that I'm not too worried about. Quite honestly though, everyone can go party as much as they want. It'll make it that much easier for me to do well. =)

Haven't really got called on in class much although I raise my hand and volunteer every once in a while. None of my professors are truly hardcore about Socratization. My contracts professor actually said "I agree with Mr. [Mylastname]" twice in one class. He was saying that a court had decided a case wrong and no one really understood it. I raised my hand to try to help explain it and then followed the agreement. I was proud. =)

I do feel like I'm understanding things well. No one seems to be way ahead of everyone else. There are also quite a few people who sound like complete idiots when they get called on in class. I haven't decided if they just don't get it or they just get super nervous on the spot. I'll be honest, I am a bit worried about finals. I'm trying to look at lots of hypos and at least think through how I would apply what I've learned so far. Hopefully this will help. I do plan on doing at least a few practice exams.

TimMitchell

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »
awesome thread

TimMitchell

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 10:34:55 AM »
Haven't really got called on in class much although I raise my hand and volunteer every once in a while. None of my professors are truly hardcore about Socratization. My contracts professor actually said "I agree with Mr. [Mylastname]" twice in one class. He was saying that a court had decided a case wrong and no one really understood it. I raised my hand to try to help explain it and then followed the agreement. I was proud. =)

You're the gunner. JS  :P

<---- Thought the same thing but didn't want to say it

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 10:49:33 AM »

You're the gunner. JS  :P

<---- Thought the same thing but didn't want to say it

I think by definition a gunner has to say something at least once every class period. I've gone through plenty of class periods without saying a word. Plus, professors don't tend to agree with the gunners. They usually just get annoyed with them and socratize them.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 04:56:51 PM »
I'm going to need to see that definition, because I think it can also apply to someone who volunteers an answer and is then pleased when the prof agrees with them. But both are required elements, you see: Volunteering followed by pride in a job well done. Anyone who knows the answer can volunteer to answer a question - that's easy.

JSIA. :)

I would have to say that offering an answer and being pleased with the result is a necessary, but not sufficient part of being a gunner. Anyone who volunteers an answer and is right will probably be happy about it. In my book, that does not constitute a gunner. Maybe we need to have a discussion on the exact requirements of being a gunner.

I would put forth the following requirements. Feel free to add to the list.

1. Offering an answer and being pleased with the result.
2. Liking the sound of your own voice.
3. Desire that you seem extremely intelligent (to the professor and/or classmates) (this is one reason why I don't consider myself a gunner, I don't volunteer answers to sound smart I answer because I'm interested in the discussion and the ideas put forth, etc.).
4. Commenting/Answering a question at least every other class period.
5. Sitting in the front row (unless the professor makes the seating chart before class starts).
6. Douchiness in general.
7. A seemingly large lack of awareness that you are annoying others/talking too much.