Law School Discussion

Ziggurats or Volantes?

Ziggurats or Volantes?
« on: September 22, 2008, 02:49:28 PM »
Oh man, and here I was thinking I was kinda good with LG. LSAC you sexy fiend, you nailed me with this brutal game from your SuperPrep C/February 2000 exam.

Ugh, help. Part of my problem was just getting to this game with the 8.45 minutes left. The other games took a bit more time than normal, not sure if I'm just tired or they were actually harder than normal.

Are the undisclosed exams just crazier than others, I've never had this kind of trouble on a games section before. I literally felt like "durrrr?" when I got to this last one.  >:(

Okay, no more questions. Answers appreciated, thanks! I have the SuperPrep explanations, but their diagrams are a bit off from the PS method.

---
Edit: okay, I see that once you get the setup, with factories as your base and years as your lines, this game isn't as difficult. However, question, when I first attacked the game, I automatically put cars as my base and years as my lines, assuming that it was factories I would need to place. This made the game extraordinarily difficult, but it didn't occur to me to diagram it any other way given that I had such a short amount of time left (I didn't know if I should start over or not).

In any case, 1) any advice to figuring out what is the "correct" base on a multiple line game like this, and 2) any advice on how to not freak out and totally jam up the way I did when hit with a difficult game (SuperPrep notes every question except 1 on this game as a "5" in difficult)

Re: Ziggurats or Volantes?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »

Edit: okay, I see that once you get the setup, with factories as your base and years as your lines, this game isn't as difficult. However, question, when I first attacked the game, I automatically put cars as my base and years as my lines, assuming that it was factories I would need to place. This made the game extraordinarily difficult, but it didn't occur to me to diagram it any other way given that I had such a short amount of time left (I didn't know if I should start over or not).

In any case, 1) any advice to figuring out what is the "correct" base on a multiple line game like this, and 2) any advice on how to not freak out and totally jam up the way I did when hit with a difficult game (SuperPrep notes every question except 1 on this game as a "5" in difficult)

I just did this game a few days ago.  I chose factories as the base because...well...the rules were placing the cars.  I thought that if factories were stagnant, it would be easier to place things like "neither v nor x are assembled in a factory in which x were assembled in the previous year"  because I could write this rule as a 'no block' pretty easily, but factories would have made writing out all the rules more difficult.  So that's how I chose my base.
And I have no advice about how not to freak out when seeing a game like this...its hard.  I would say do a the hard games a couple times, so then if one shows up they won't be as scary.  Good luck!

Re: Ziggurats or Volantes?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 03:32:58 PM »
Thanks blueskies! I think I'm just going to hash through this one a few more times and review the PS LG bible section on advanced line. I forget if it mentions anything on base picking.