Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What questions do YOU ask your interviewer?  (Read 2750 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: What questions do YOU ask your interviewer?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
I am interviewing again for the first time in about two years.  The standard things I used to ask were:

-Is there any structured training/mentor program?

-How is work assigned?

-What is the hour requirement, if any?

-Is that billable hours or billed hours?

Any thoughts, additions, suggestions are welcomed.  Thanks.

These are important questions, but they are general and don't demonstrate that you've done reasearch about the firm. You can ask them, if you're really interested in knowing these things, but balance them out with questions that are specific to the firm and to the practice, if you have a preference.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 10:29:18 AM »
Also, I generally ask questions that say something about myself first... especially when they ask you for your questions too early in the interview.

That is the worst. I've honestly had to say something like "well, don't let me ask all the questions and make you talk the whole time; I'm sure you've got questions for me."

I've had to do that at least twice. Once it went over ok; the other time, not so much...ugh.

But your advice about it (the non-bolded) is a better way to deal with it.

it usually means they're not interested in the candidate.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 12:46:44 AM »
Ugh, at a callback at a big NYC firm, my schedule changed considerably the morning I arrived.  Two attorneys were removed; three added.  I had prepared thoughtful questions based on each interviewers' individual resume.

So, wouldn't you know it, one of the new additions--a pretty big-name partner, it turns out--asks only one question the entire time:  "So what can I tell you about the firm?"

Argh!  On the other hand, I just went for the candid response, and said something like, "I didn't know I was going to meet you until this morning, so I haven't had a chance to look at your resume.  I would love to know more about your practice."

(Annoyingly, the firm didn't even provide bios at the door, which mitigated problems on earlier CBs with later schedule changes.)
I am officially a law school graduate : )

GG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 01:44:15 PM »
Guys, I have a completely different take on this, which I want to share with you, whether or not you agree. I have been practising as an attorney for more than 8 years now and I hope my experience can be of help.

An interviewer does not want to hear questions such as "Is there any structured training/mentor program?", "How is work assigned?", "What is the hour requirement?", "Is that billable hours or billed hours?" because such questions will just bore them to death and they are not interested in answering those questions at all.

Likewise, an interviewer is not in the business of finding out whether you have "done your research about the firm", because: (1) if they are a practising attorney, they do not have a clue about what is going on in the marketing department, and (2) the image conveyed to prospective recruits by a firm's website and other literature does not give a picture of what the firm actually does but what the firm wants you to think they do. The situation is different though if you are interviewing for an in-house position. 

There is only one question that an interviewer (or prospective client if you are pitching for work) wants to be asked: "What are you looking for in a candidate?". All interviewers will love to be asked that question as it will give them the opportunity to tell you what their needs are and who they believe will best meet their needs.

Remember the interview is as much about them looking for candidates as about you looking for work. So please ask questions that are relevant to them as well. And then of course if you really want to know if there is any structured training/mentor program, etc… feel free to ask (but I never do so until a later stage in the recruitment process).

Hope this helps and good luck!  :)

Giuseppe
Attorney and author of Soft Skills for Lawyers (www.chelseapublishing.com