Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Studying without the experimental section?  (Read 351 times)

LessThanLiz

• View Profile
    • Email
Studying without the experimental section?
« on: September 22, 2008, 02:19:54 AM »
Hey all,

I've been taking practice tests fairly regularly, using the "10 Actual, Official LSAT Preptest" books. The thing is, they don't supply the experimental section so, excluding the writing section, I'm only prepping with four sections. 1) Do you think that this will adversely affect my performance on the test day with a fifth section (because of endurance issues); and 2) is there any way to mimic that fifth section? Should I just find a random LSAT section to take alongside the actual preptest just to get used to it?

Thanks again.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Studying without the experimental section?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 08:29:43 AM »
1) Do you think that this will adversely affect my performance on the test day with a fifth section (because of endurance issues);

I think in your case it certainly couldn't hurt then.

2) is there any way to mimic that fifth section? Should I just find a random LSAT section to take alongside the actual preptest just to get used to it?

Doesnt matter. In the worst case you could use an old section from some test you've already done, as long as you're mentally engaged for that extra 35 minutes it's good enough.

Admittedly, I've mostly been doing PTs without the experimental section. However, I also don't give myself a break between any sections of the test. I think most people are compelled by a fear that the 5th section will reduce their test endurance, so they add it as a precaution to avoid a potential loss in points. I think ultimately it's up to personal preference. As long as you're following strict time contraints when PTing your score will probably yield a pretty good representation of where you are.

But of course, I'm just as superstitious as everyone else on this site and I will be adding the 5th section to my final PT of each week leading up to the test.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 08:44:40 AM »
You don't really need to add the 5th section.  If you can do 4 in a row without a break, you can do 3 in a row without a break.  The trick is to really psych yourself up for those 2 left after the break.  The break seems like it would be welcomed, but it can really disrupt your focus.

If you do study with a 5th section, do 3 in a row and then walk around your house/apt. for 5 minutes.  That will truly give you a better sense of how your focus will be disrupted.  Don't freak out at all about it.  It is not a huge deal.  Just be aware that you need to get your head back in the game after the break.  Treat it like two tests.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 11:26:41 AM »
I think you should try doing 5 sections at least once or twice.  It'll give you a better idea of the stamina you will need. Just grab a random section as you thought, or even a fake LSAT section from a prepbook.  The tricky thing is that you know which section isn't counting, while at the actual test you won't know.  So obviously it doesn't mimic the real test very well, but I think it's worth doing.