;

Poll

Is my life a complete failure???

Yes
 20 (44.4%)
No
 25 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Complete Failure  (Read 17319 times)

TeeTwenty

• View Profile
Re: Complete Failure
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 12:16:59 AM »
I went to Rutgers-Camden, graduated with a 3.36(even though not great - thought i'd have something by now) and still waiting on bar results

You prob. won't get many bites until bar results are out.

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 02:45:25 PM »
Eh, I am a 3L at a T2, top 12%, on the editorial board of law review, masters degree, ivy league bachelor's degree, and I can't even get interviews for first-year associate positions.... :(

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 03:29:48 PM »
I thought this thread was going to be about Palin's performance in tomorrow's debate.

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »
I love how people act like the DA and PD's office will hire anyone with a JD and a pulse.

Sorry to crush your notions of superselective average DA/PD offices but it is, without a doubt, easier to land small town PD and DA jobs than biglaw, and it gets easier to land DA/PD job the less desirable the geographic area is.  It matters whether the guy has artifically narrowed his search and is only applying to firms in NYC...

ummm . . . this is completely and utterly false. Right now, in the state of Pennsyvlania there are exactly 3 ADA positions open and one PD position open. In the rural counties like mine, DA slots are taken by those who have been in private practice and litigating for years. There are no jobs out there right now, period.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 10:18:46 PM »
I love how people act like the DA and PD's office will hire anyone with a JD and a pulse.

Sorry to crush your notions of superselective average DA/PD offices but it is, without a doubt, easier to land small town PD and DA jobs than biglaw, and it gets easier to land DA/PD job the less desirable the geographic area is.  It matters whether the guy has artifically narrowed his search and is only applying to firms in NYC...

ummm . . . this is completely and utterly false. Right now, in the state of Pennsyvlania there are exactly 3 ADA positions open and one PD position open. In the rural counties like mine, DA slots are taken by those who have been in private practice and litigating for years. There are no jobs out there right now, period.

Interesting  :)
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 10:53:48 PM »
Have you considered applying to do public interest work or being a contract attorney?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 11:03:07 PM »
Have you considered applying to do public interest work or being a contract attorney?

What kind of "public interest work" do you think the OP could get?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 07:44:55 AM »
Something at a small non-profit.  I know the big non-profits are extremely hard to get into, but there has to be something that would be interested in taking on the OP>

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 09:20:18 AM »
I'm not trying to discourage the OP, but JD positions at small non-profits are extremely competitive, and not just because the economy makes it difficult for them to hire right now.  There are very few non-profits that will use their scarce resources to hire someone who hasn't already demonstrated a commitment to the issue or at least to public service.  The (apparently widespread) notion that it's easy to land non-profit jobs is extremely out of touch. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

intel

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 10:41:25 AM »
I'm not trying to discourage the OP, but JD positions at small non-profits are extremely competitive, and not just because the economy makes it difficult for them to hire right now.  There are very few non-profits that will use their scarce resources to hire someone who hasn't already demonstrated a commitment to the issue or at least to public service.  The (apparently widespread) notion that it's easy to land non-profit jobs is extremely out of touch. 

why don't you tell us what jobs are not competitive.