Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law In a Flash Cards?  (Read 3532 times)

rebelfan286

• View Profile
    • Email
Law In a Flash Cards?
« on: September 19, 2008, 04:10:54 PM »
Anyone have experience with these?  Any good?  Terrible?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Law In a Flash Cards?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 04:24:55 PM »
I bought them for contracts, evidence and torts and did not really find them that helpful. A lot of the stuff on the cards my prof did not cover, or made up his/her own rules. My guess having used them three times is they would be helpful for bar prep, but not class exams. However, the MPRE ones where really good. So I say yes for standwerized test type prep no for class specific prep.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 10:56:30 PM »
I bought them for contracts, evidence and torts and did not really find them that helpful. A lot of the stuff on the cards my prof did not cover, or made up his/her own rules. My guess having used them three times is they would be helpful for bar prep, but not class exams. However, the MPRE ones where really good. So I say yes for standwerized test type prep no for class specific prep.

That's really what they're for (bar prep).  I bought the Contracts and Torts--never opened the Torts yet--and thought they were only marginally helpful.  They are good for black letter law, I supposed.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 12:28:40 AM »
No - make your own flashcards - buying them makes no sense whatsoever.

rebelfan286

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 01:17:49 AM »
mmmmmmmk...thanks for the info!

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 10:22:20 AM »
I think they can be somewhat helpful as a quick review at the end of the semester. We used to test each other with them in our study group in between practice exams. The one set that I do think was helpful was the future interests set for property. A good chunk of our property midterm was future interests, so that was a good review.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 12:18:41 PM »
I have used the flash cards and I liked them. But you do have to be careful because they do include subjects not covered in class but I found it was easy to remove those cards. They are also only good for some subjects. For example, they are useless for property.

I would also be careful about how you use them. I still think the best method of studying is outlining and taking practice exams. What I liked about them is they gave me a bunch of mini hypos. I think as many different questions one can do over a subject really enhances how you look at the issue. So I basically used them just to see different questions and the type of answers that could result in them. I would by no means spend the majority of my study time using them.

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 02:23:40 PM »
I kept them on my nightstand and used them as mini-reviews at night. Like the previous poster said, it is easy to remove what subjects your prof didn't cover. I also liked the mini-hypos. But agree, it by no means should be your only way of studying. Outline for yourself and study it. use the cards, if at all, to supplement or test yourself.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 09:10:11 AM »
I actually rip flash cards a lot because they are not at all helpful for the style of exams I take.  Same with any flashcards you've made yourself.  Your ability to analyze and incorporate rules creatively has been tested on every exam I've taken.  Your ability to memorize?  Not so much.

But they give you hypos

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 03:37:24 PM »
I actually rip flash cards a lot because they are not at all helpful for the style of exams I take.  Same with any flashcards you've made yourself.  Your ability to analyze and incorporate rules creatively has been tested on every exam I've taken.  Your ability to memorize?  Not so much.

But they give you hypos herpes

fixt
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.