Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No response from a few pre-screening interviews, should I call to see what's up?  (Read 3089 times)

santropez

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 116
    • View Profile
So, there's a couple of firms that I did OCI pre-screening interviews with (almost a month ago) that I haven't heard from.  One of the firms said I wouldn't hear back from them until "September or so."

I'm wondering whether it's ok to call the recruiting coordinators at these firms to find out what the hell is going on.  I've got an offer that's gonna expire in a couple of weeks and I'd like to know whether I have a shot at these firms. 

Any thoughts?   

POTUS20

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 45
    • View Profile
Don't waste time worrying about firms that put you toward the end of the line.  In my opinion, I want to be somewhere that wants me - not somewhere that wants me only if others reject them.

TheDudeMan

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1080
    • View Profile
If you didn't hear from a screening interview in 2 weeks, then you aren't likely getting a call.  Do what you gotta do.

lexvitae

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 13
    • View Profile
Call them - it can't hurt and it takes 2 minutes.

Hekkien

  • Guest
I think it's also worth noting that some firms are, simply put, incredibly rude with no desire to behave professionally towards people they don't happen to want.

Of all my interviews and bids--from ones that led to callbacks to ones that did not--only one particular firm never sent me any kind of notification whatsoever after my screening interview.  It was a place I was pretty interested in, but the fact they've done this to a lot of people (it seems) who didn't get past the screen has caused their stock to plummet in my eyes, even if it doesn't happen to matter for me personally without a callback.

Yeah.  Some of these places are really, really, really rude.  So it could be that.

But if they gave you an estimate--"it might not be until well into September"--and you don't happen to know of people who have gotten callback offers from them already, perhaps this is just the time it takes this particular firm and it wouldn't hurt to check in.

nealric

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 2261
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
FWIW I got a callback from a firm almost 3 weeks after my screener. I would just wait it out unless you have an exploding offer to worry about.


Maybe it says they don't want you as bad, but honestly, a few years down the line nobody will know you were the guy who waited another 2 weeks for his callback.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

OldCraig

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Would that firm happen to be Jones Day? Lmfao? :D

Megara

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 34
    • View Profile
What about callback interviews?

There are two firms that I have not heard from either way.   Now that i'm outside the time frame that they gave me to hear back, should I call or email the recruiting coordinator?  Or leave it be?

nealric

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 2261
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Quote
Would that firm happen to be Jones Day? Lmfao? 

Nope. Jones Day was next day  ;D
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Refused Party Program

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 494
    • View Profile
What about callback interviews?

There are two firms that I have not heard from either way.   Now that i'm outside the time frame that they gave me to hear back, should I call or email the recruiting coordinator?  Or leave it be?

One of the firms I was most interested in took 6 weeks to get back to me with a no. It was a small office of a national firm in smaller market. I had an offer that was going to expire. About half way through that time frame, I called the recruiting coordinator (this was 3.5 weeks after the callback) and she said they hadn't even met yet to discuss candidates. She is not in the office I interviewed. About a week later, I e-mailed the partner that screened me a week and a half later. He looked into it for me and told me (very apologetically and nicely) the "thanks but no thanks" letter was mailed the day before.

I think if they are small firms/offices in small markets, be patient. If you don't have an offer, there no sense in being impatient. If you do have an offer, and you would be interested in this firm over the offer, I think you should politely let them know your situation.

If you have a time frame, and it took longer than they it should have, you may have been "waitlisted." That happened to me with a different place.