Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Year "Off" After Graduating  (Read 2625 times)

HeyJude

• View Profile
Year "Off" After Graduating
« on: September 19, 2008, 12:37:04 PM »
So here's the deal.

3L at Tier 2 in NYC, top half of class.  My gf (Top of class 2L at T5) is returning to our home state as a summer associate, then plans to return there after graduating.  Naturally, we'd like to stick together for her last year in the city before moving back together.  I plan on taking the home state bar post-graduation. 

The problem is that one year gap between my graduation date and hers. I've put in some clerkship applications out here as a crazy one in a million shot, as well as some fellowship applications.  I realize that my chances of getting either of these things stinks.  So my question is this: is there a legal job/project that I could do out here for a year that wouldn't require being barred in NY and that wouldn't be a black mark on my resume when I look for work in my home state the following summer?  I'd appreciate any ideas.

HeyJude

• View Profile
Re: Year "Off" After Graduating
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »
Anything in particular?

juggler451

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 10:57:28 PM »
Get an LL.M.

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 08:01:16 PM »
Year off after graduation? Its called your initial job search.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 10:57:38 PM »
Here is my solution.  Your girlfriend sounds smart, so I am assuming she land a good job?  Take the next four months, wait tables or work as a bartender.  Save your money.  Buy your girlfriend and engagement ring.  Then, take the rest of your life off from work while collecting half a big law salary every year.  That was my approach to law school (I failed).

Or, i think you may want to consider going to an LLM program in NY as someone suggested. NYU has a great one, and, although they are selective, it is not nearly as difficult to get in as it is for the JD admissions. This would put you graduating the same time as her and give you more of an opportunity to get a job lined up for after.

law123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 11:41:58 PM »
Here is my solution.  Your girlfriend sounds smart, so I am assuming she land a good job?  Take the next four months, wait tables or work as a bartender.  Save your money.  Buy your girlfriend and engagement ring.  Then, take the rest of your life off from work while collecting half a big law salary every year.  That was my approach to law school (I failed).

TITCR