Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Retaking practice tests  (Read 1121 times)

I Will Get Over 170

• View Profile
Retaking practice tests
« on: September 18, 2008, 06:32:48 PM »
I originally studied to take the June LSAT and pretty much took all the modern practice tests I could get my hands on before that... Well, I ended up canceling my June test and I'm going to be taking it in October.  Apart from rewatching all the archived online Powerscore lessons from this summer's class, I'm just starting to retake some of the practice tests I used before.

During my first round of studying--for the June test--I maxed out at around 170/171... I took my first "retake" yesterday (the June 2004 test) and got a 173.  I don't feel like I remembered any of the questions, but I don't know, I was surprised by how well I did.  Do you think this is an accurate reflection of my improvement, or simply a symptom of subconscious memories?

vandyprincess

• View Profile
Re: Retaking practice tests
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:03:31 PM »
I'm gonna have to say no. I retook the tests that I have already taken and was estatic that I was scoring in the 170s. Then I got newer tests from LSAC (45 and later) and was back down to my original level which is mid-high 160s.  :-\

I Will Get Over 170

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »
I'm gonna have to say no. I retook the tests that I have already taken and was estatic that I was scoring in the 170s. Then I got newer tests from LSAC (45 and later) and was back down to my original level which is mid-high 160s.  :-\

:-\ I was worried that might be the case.

TheFoz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 08:57:41 PM »
I did the same thing and though I've noticed improvement on the same tests I took I don't remember a thing. At first I thought it was subconscious but then I started taking sections of tests one at a time that I hadn't taken before and my breakdown was about the same (I'd get 1 to -3 wrong in LR on the tests I retook and would do just as well on the individual sections). As long as you haven't taken the tests 3-4 times I think it's legitimate improvement. I remembered NOTHING and I've done thousands of questions (I also took a class and did all the homework) so I hardly think I know the *answer* subconsciously.

senseless

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 05:19:03 AM »
I don't think re-taking any LSAT you've previously taken can be indicative of your true progress. It's highly probable that your "subconscious memories" have influenced your higher scores. Your phrase "pretty much took all the modern practice tests I could get my hands on before that" indicates that there are practice tests in existence that you haven't taken. I'd suggest taking those other tests and measuring your progress from the results of your scores on those tests compared to the scores you achieved on earlier tests.

Kels

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:32:11 AM »
I know the situation and its extra shi-tty. However, I think you would be very surprised how much it doesn't make a difference taking a test twice (I have taken a decent amount of tests twice and scored pretty close to the same); but it all depends on how much you deconstructed certain questions the first time around. This one kid I was talking to on here told me that he retook the June test right when he got a copy of it online (I don't know if he reviewed any of the answers beforehand or not) and he said he actually scored a point lower. So I don't think remembering the content or topics discussed on a test helps at all; I think the only thing that would give you an advantage the second time around is if you actually remember the correct answer to a question just by recognizing the language and not knowing why it is correct. What I would make sure to do though when taking a test for the second time, is really justify the response you choose in your head; and don't play the game of "I think I remember this choice being right before". 

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:33:53 AM »
Take fresh tests.

I can't speak for anyone else on LSD, but this method would not work for me in particular. I have something of a photographic memory, and I recall nearly each and every question I've ever done for PTs. It's actually so bad that when I attempt problems untimed I cant check my answers progressively unless I take precautions against catching a glimpse of the correct answers for other questins in the corner of my eye.

Really though, if you aren't a freak of nature like myself, I would still recommend attempting fresh tests. You're likely to remember the general stucture of questions that you've encountered in the past, and this coaches memories.

In addition, have you ever had difficulty with just one or two problems on the LR section - that is, those questions that you mulled over the stimulus multiple times? You'll remember those.

Kels

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 03:38:08 PM »
Take fresh tests.

I can't speak for anyone else on LSD, but this method would not work for me in particular. I have something of a photographic memory, and I recall nearly each and every question I've ever done for PTs. It's actually so bad that when I attempt problems untimed I cant check my answers progressively unless I take precautions against catching a glimpse of the correct answers for other questins in the corner of my eye.

Really though, if you aren't a freak of nature like myself, I would still recommend attempting fresh tests. You're likely to remember the general stucture of questions that you've encountered in the past, and this coaches memories.

In addition, have you ever had difficulty with just one or two problems on the LR section - that is, those questions that you mulled over the stimulus multiple times? You'll remember those.

Darn right take fresh tests IF you have them; but if you don't what other choice do you have? And you are right thales that the big difference is with the hard questions that more than likely you reviewed and remember from the first time.

Kels

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 03:46:58 PM »
Oh and I might add that taking a test a second time doesn't give me any kind of advantage with LG, maybe a tiny bit, if at all, with RC, and the most (how ever much that is) with LR. This can vary though because...once again, the degree of advantage you have the second time totally depends on how much you reviewed the test after the first time you took it. 

I Will Get Over 170

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 05:27:21 PM »
Yeah, the only tests I haven't taken are the early 90's ones...  What's better practice--retaking newer ones or taking old ones for the first time.

I just [re]took the October 2004 test today.  Once again, I didn't feel like I remembered anything (except for maybe one logical reasoning question) but I improved 9 points from my original score; 167 to 176.  I really, REALLY hope that's not just because I've subliminally committed those answers to memory...