Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago Firm Choice  (Read 2133 times)

tommytutone

• View Profile
Chicago Firm Choice
« on: September 18, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »
Hi, so I am wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these firms, working there or anecdotally. I am trying to choose between Reed Smith, Holland + Knight, and Winston & Strawn, all Chicago offices. I am leaning most towards Reed Smith based on the people I met there. I initially chose Reed and Holland because I know that I'll probably be moving to a different city where they both have offices and I thought that their relatively lower prestige in Chicago would be a good back door route into my preferred office in 3-4 years down the line. Winston seemed like a nice place, but I worry about the difficulty of laterally v. moving intrafirm, and I guess I just had the best "gut" response to Reed. Any have any thoughts? Any reasons to avoid any of these firms specifically?

tommytutone

• View Profile
Re: Chicago Firm Choice
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 07:46:27 PM »
I'm a bit surprised that no one has any thoughts. I know we're not talking Wachtell here, but if anyone has a good reason to say, go to Holland over Reed, I would be interested in knowing it. I think I get the reason for going to Winston over both, but am interested in others thoughts. Thanks. Also got offer from Perkins Coie Chicago. Any way to place them?

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »
Winston in the highest ranked firm of the bunch, but I'm sure you already knew that. I think that's worth at least taking into account. But that aside, i think there is something to be said for going with your gut. You're going to be spending a lot of time there and that gut feeling isn't something that should be ignored. And even so, Reed Smith isn't exactly small potatoes.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 09:53:55 PM »
GO to Winston, you can move to PA later.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:07:56 PM »
tag because I'm in Chicago.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 02:39:18 PM »
One of my friends is going to Winston. He is awesome.

I have nothing productive to add (didn't interview for this town).