Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Too late for Biglaw?  (Read 3162 times)

newmom

• View Profile
    • Email
Too late for Biglaw?
« on: September 18, 2008, 04:04:28 PM »
So here's my situation:

Missed OCI  :( (long story)
Haven't sent a single resume yet, will do so all day tomorrow
Attend T10 but bottom half of class (another long story w/possible good excuse)
Possible connection but very iffy

Any hope for me?  Should I send generic email or personalized (cause mailing is out of the question now)?  Does Mid-Law pay as well?

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Too late for Biglaw?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:05:04 PM »
I think it's VERY late in the game since many firms began issuing offers a month ago. If I were you, I'd e-mail query attorney recruiters at biglaw w/ your resume since that's much quicker than mailing packets. I know it's late because I sent 20 packets out the WEEK OF OCI, and by the time the firms got to them, many of them had already filled up their interview schedules, and didn't have the time or space to consider me. Even regional firms were responding this way(I'm a T14 w/ good grades - so I know it wasn't because I didn't fit the bill). That being said, I have gotten a couple of good responses from the 20 mailings. It's going to be an even tougher road to hoe for you though.  No getting around that. You might as well give it a try...

Also, you should target mid-sized firms because they don't have such hardcore deadlines.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »

And there's no "possible" good excuse for being bottom half of the class--if it were a good excuse, you'd know for sure.  (And judging from the screen name, pregnancy or new mommyhood is a good reason for being bottom half of the class to lots of people, but not in the context of an explanation to firms for why you don't meet their guidelines.)

I agree generally with YBR's entire response to the OP, but would just add on thing.  I generally absolutely agree that being a new mom is 99% of the time NOT going to be a good excuse. The biglaw attorneys will imagine the future - "Hey, sorry I totally failed to file that brief on time and we lost the case.  I'm a little overwhelmed because my kid got a cold!  My bad!"  It may not be fair, but it is what it is.  The one point I'd add is that it might be more acceptable if there were severe health complications involved for mom and/or baby.

Bottom line, as the other posters have said, BigLaw is likely completely out for you, but your best shot is to send targeted emails directly to the recruiting coordinators ASAP - like, right now!  Keep explanations very, very short and sweet, giving just enough info to allow the reader to understand why your materials are coming so late, but not enough to sound whiny or like you're avoiding taking responsibility for missing deadlines and grades that other people managed to meet/get.  And also start hitting midlaw hard, researching small firms (many hire much later), and going to each and every networking event possible. 

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 05:53:26 PM »
Um, firms aren't filled because some schools haven't even held OCI yet. We haven't had OCI yet, so most firms still have available slots. I would just call head of recruitment at target firms directly to see if you can email your resume.
YLS c/o 2009

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 06:47:20 PM »
Um, firms aren't filled because some schools haven't even held OCI yet. We haven't had OCI yet, so most firms still have available slots. I would just call head of recruitment at target firms directly to see if you can email your resume.

Um...perhaps that's because you go to Yale and firms will either keep spots open or make room?

newmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:56:50 PM »
Well my baby was the biggest reason...mornin sickness blah blah during finals, but I did consider what Jacy said and was not even going to mention it

So def attach cover letter?  As for midlaw, are my chances really that bleak?  I thought I atleast had a decent shot :(

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 10:08:26 PM »
Well my baby was the biggest reason...mornin sickness blah blah during finals, but I did consider what Jacy said and was not even going to mention it

So def attach cover letter?  As for midlaw, are my chances really that bleak?  I thought I atleast had a decent shot :(

Lots of students are facing more challenges this year - students at lower ranked schools, and even those in the bottom half of some of the top schools are having trouble.  I don't know if I would say your chances are bleak for midlaw (you are at a T10, after all), but you need to get your game on asap. The longer you wait, the more trouble you may have.

antsor5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 10:23:31 PM »
coming from a top 10 (although bottom half), i still think you have a decent shot at amlaw200, now, even vault 100 for sure. theres some firms that just top 10 schools regardless of where the student is (as long as they interview fine). send stuff out asap, you'll be alright

newmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 09:57:06 AM »
Does it matter what market I'm in (Atlanta btw)... I think I remember hearing somewhere that Atl is a secondary market and I assumed I'd do decent there

Not too familiar with Am200...how're the hours/pay etc?

Orbits

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 11:28:48 AM »
I know several people who have between 0 and 2 callbacks at T14 at firms all the way down the AmLaw200.  It's hard out there these days, even for a pimp.

how is that possible?