Law School Discussion

Which T14 schools have the most supportive and collegial student body?

CTL

• View Profile
Re: Which T14 schools have the most supportive and collegial student body?
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 03:55:57 PM »
I'm surprised more has not been made of Michigan's collegiality yet.  They really make a big deal about it here, and it's working.  It is a community, and if that's what you're looking for you will certainly find it here.

I have heard the same things about Yale and Stanford, but I've never heard anything about Harvard except that it's competitive.  (That's not necessarily a bad thing, but wouldn't be the kind of environment I would want to be in now.  Maybe ten years ago.)

Thanks. 

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 05:14:32 PM »
1. Harvard
2. UVA
(In that order!  :D)

And this is coming from a person whose decision really came down to these two schools b/c I was completely sold on Virginia Law from the first time I stepped foot on the campus!  In all fairness, I can't give you firsthand info about UVA, and I'm sure it's a great place -- esp. with its Southern charm and hospitality.  Yet I can tell you without a doubt that Harvard is a wonderfully social, collegial place that does not feel competitive at all.  If you happen to be in as great a section as I was, you'll find friendly, interesting, open, and talented people that you'll enjoy learning with and getting to know while you're here.  I'm sure there may be a few oddballs scattered throughout, but I don't come across them.  Besides, in a student body this large those types have little effect on the culture of the school.  If you stroll around campus, you'll see people playing volleyball on the court, sharing notes and outlines in class, hanging out in the dorms, laughing in the Hark Cafe, etc.  It'sa real community, and the days of Turow's 1L are long gone!!!!!!!

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 05:16:42 PM »
kirk lazarus' description of yale is typical of many t-14s. chicago's 1L program is virtually identical except our class is even smaller (100-150 students per year) and our spring oral arguments are done with 2 students per side. we also have bar reviews every thursday night, one big social event every quarter, and one central lounge where everyone hangs out.

i would imagine that collaboration is more present at smaller schools, where you know all the students in your year so it's not weird to ask for notes/study help. at the same time, i don't think any t14 is universally known for competitiveness OR collegiality. it all depends on who the student is, what the school's culture is like, blah blah blah.

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 09:44:03 PM »
georgetown would be 14th in this ranking because of size, right?

CTL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 03:40:54 AM »
I really appreciate all the views of actual LS students.  It sounds like all of you chose the right school!

CTL

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 05:33:48 AM »
Thinks that have been reported to build collegiality:

1) Smaller class sizes - it's harder to be an ass to those you must constantly interact with.

2) Higher USNWR rankings - If more people are assured of a good job, you don't have to be quite so cut throat.

3) No public student rankings - If there's no difference between top 30% or 38%, it reduces competition.

4) Culture - probably a remnant of the top 3 factors, but I'm sure it has an independent effect at some level.  For instance, UVa and Vandy are reported to have cultures of collegiality, 

It probably doesn't hurt that UVA and Vandy are in the South either.  Everyone knows about that good ol' southern hospitality!

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 06:16:15 AM »
tag.

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 06:59:44 AM »
Just speaking from my own experience at Duke, the student body is great. Never felt any sense of competition and everyone is willing to help each other out.

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 07:15:58 AM »
It's not in the t14, but I'll second the fact that Vandy is way more collegial than you would ever expect a law school to be.. although not so collegial that I can remember who PJC is

TimMitchell

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 10:14:06 AM »
It's not in the t14, but I'll second the fact that Vandy is way more collegial than you would ever expect a law school to be.. although not so collegial that I can remember who PJC is

Because I don't go to Vandy  ;)  Hopefully next year though.

Two words: Booby      Trap