Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cravath or Cleary  (Read 8025 times)

lola2008

• View Profile
Cravath or Cleary
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:31:43 AM »
I have narrowed my decision to these two.  Where do I go?

Here are some of my thoughts/concerns:

- how much more do people at Cravath really work?
- will Cravath's lack of international offices (except for a really tiny London office) have an impact on its future profits?
- does Cleary "force" people to go to its international offices if you're fluent in that language, even if you want to stay in NY?
- will Cravath really give me better exit options?
- I have no idea what I want to do, leaning towards corporate but also interested in tax and litigation - Cravath worries me because I"m only allowed to split my summer between two of these.
- do I have a better chance of making partner at Cleary than Cravath?

Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Harvey Dent

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nothing bad ever happens on the dirt road...
    • View Profile
Re: Cravath or Cleary
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:46:39 AM »

- will Cravath's lack of international offices (except for a really tiny London office) have an impact on its future profits?
- does Cleary "force" people to go to its international offices if you're fluent in that language, even if you want to stay in NY?
- I have no idea what I want to do, leaning towards corporate but also interested in tax and litigation - Cravath worries me because I"m only allowed to split my summer between two of these.

1. I suspect that the amount of work will be driven more by who you're working with than which firm you go to.  Cravath is more hours on average, but I don't think anyone really works the average.

2. I think Cravath's profits will probably be okay.  Cleary obviously has the better international presence but at this point I don't know how much protection that affords.

3. Don't know.  Can't imagine they do.

4. Marginally.  Very marginally.  And again, on average.

5. The corporate preference and the wanting to shop around a bit argue in favor of Cleary.

6. You're talking about 1% v. 0.8% (or something like that).  I wouldn't weigh that factor in too heavily.

Did you LIKE one more than the other?
LSN

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »
cleary, easily.
YLS c/o 2009

Harvey Dent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 12:01:15 PM »
cleary, easily.

The OP has not commented on whether or not he/she loves misery.  If yes, not so easily.

Are you headed straight to firm life by the way?
LSN

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 12:32:13 PM »
cleary, easily.

The OP has not commented on whether or not he/she loves misery.  If yes, not so easily.

Yeah, work for a year and then clerking 2010. You?

YLS c/o 2009

lola2008

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 02:39:51 PM »
I have no pension for misery:)  I am heading straight for firm life and at this point don't have much of an interest in doing anything other than big law.  However, I do like the idea of teaching as an adjunct while working at the firm at some point in my life.

Harvey Dent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 05:51:24 PM »
cleary, easily.

Yeah, work for a year and then clerking 2010. You?

Hopefully firm.  I have some personal issues I'm addressing.

I have no pension for misery:)  I am heading straight for firm life and at this point don't have much of an interest in doing anything other than big law.  However, I do like the idea of teaching as an adjunct while working at the firm at some point in my life.

I think you'll end up choosing Cleary.  Agonize for a while and then pull the trigger.
LSN

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 06:39:27 PM »

1. I suspect that the amount of work will be driven more by who you're working with than which firm you go to.  Cravath is more hours on average, but I don't think anyone really works the average.

2. I think Cravath's profits will probably be okay.  Cleary obviously has the better international presence but at this point I don't know how much protection that affords.

5. The corporate preference and the wanting to shop around a bit argue in favor of Cleary.

6. You're talking about 1% v. 0.8% (or something like that).  I wouldn't weigh that factor in too heavily.

Isn't that like saying nobody goes to Burger King anymore because it's too crowded?

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Harvey Dent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 12:15:14 AM »

Isn't that like saying nobody goes to Burger King anymore because it's too crowded?

No, it's not.
LSN

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 01:15:15 AM »

No, it's not.

Ok then.  Thanks for clearing that up.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011