Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on Villanova  (Read 1371 times)

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Villanova
« on: September 17, 2008, 10:47:01 PM »
What are your thoughts on Villanova, I know the USN ranking isn't great. It seems like a pretty solid T2 school career wise though, and they are getting a new building. From I've heard their current facility is quite bad. How would you compare it to say Case Western or Pitt?

Aristone07

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Villanova
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 11:59:40 PM »
Villanova, Pitt and CW are largely regional.  Do you have a preference for working in Philly or the Pitt area?  Villanova is actually well regarded in the greater Philadelphia/NJ area.  It is comparable to Rutgers-Camden and (in some eyes) Temple.  That being said, you will need good grades from any of those schools to land biglaw in this economy.  And by good grades, I mean top 15%. 

However, Villanova does have an extenrship program that allows you to network and their alumni seem very loyal to the school.

I thought about it during my cycle, but ultimately decided to attend another school.  Are you interested in public interest?  They have a great public interest scholar program.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »
I'm not really sure which of the three cities I'd rather live in, I've lived half my life in NY and the other half in MI. I visited Case last fall and I've been to Philly, but I've never been to Pittsburgh. I expect to score in the low 160's so I'm trying to figure out where I'd fit in best. I'm not interested in public interest law. I'm not sure what I'd like to do, but Case's international program is very appealing. 

Aristone07

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 01:13:20 AM »
Apologies...I didnt realizxe you double posted until after I posted here.  Definitely visit all three schools...I'd imagine they are vastly different in feel.  I would not base too much on an international program.  Each law school has opportunities to go abroad (and, if not, you can go through another law school).  Furthermore, few people rarely practice truly international law...think the International Tribunal of the Former Yugoslavia. 

Honestly...figure out what area you want to truly practice in...then visit each school and gather a feel for them.  Lastly, money talks.  See where would give you the least debt.  Do NOT underestimate the amount of debt you will be coming out of law school with...many people do.

amise

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 01:22:04 PM »
Philly is a great (and underappreciated) city, but Villanova is not in Philly. It is about 30 minutes outside of the city in the suburbs. Villanova is a nice area, but if you prefer a city environment, Villanova may not be the best location.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 01:41:54 PM »
I like Villanova. I am a 3L visiting student here. I went to law school for my first two years in Indiana, but am from eastern PA philly area. I am glad I came back and chose to come here instead of Temple. Temple although is cheaper would be more burdonsome on me since I would have to live in the city. Don't get me wrong I like the city, just not the part where Temple is. If I want to go to the city, i can take the train straight from villanova. It is not far at all. Villanova is only around 10miles or so from the city and there is no hassel in taking the train.

I predict that the school is going to do a lot better in the next year or so. It is buiding a brand new building and that alone is going to attract more people to the school. Once the school is fully built, Villanova will have the newest and most up to date facilities.
  Their numbers have grown stronger each year with this year's average incomming LSAT being 162. Students from ALL over the country and from good schools come here. We have students from Harvard, Yale, Penn undergrads. Also the alumni is really really strong. If you want to work in corporate philly Villanova is a great choice to make. Temple is known as the litigation school and Villanova the corporate law school. Villanova has a tax program that is renowned. The name of the school as a whole I think carries more weight also, I guess that is b/c it is private. It also is known for its good baball team. haha
   Students live all over, they live near the school in Delaware County, or in the city and take the train or a neighboring county. Also 70% of the class at Villanova are from out of state, so that shows how well renouned the school is nationally.
   Also there is private parking for law students which is a huge plus for me, since my law school in Indiana would make us fight with the undergrad for spots.
   Seriously there are just too many school in the philly area, with drexel popping up. But among the top schools in the area will be Villanova. The east coast is an incredible place to practice, there are so many opportunties here. IF you can get into Villanova, you will have some great opportunites. There are Villanova grads from all over. Visiting this school for my final year and comming back home has done nothing but helped me, I'm able to network where I plan on working and attend all the the villanova career job fair functions. I'm just glad this is my last year of all this text book *&^%. haha
    If your from PA and want to stay in philly, it is logical to choose temple for the instate tution. Other than that, I would choose Villanova for every other reason. I just think the name carries more weight over all nationally than temple does.
     Good luck to you ALL this cycle. :)

Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 03:30:47 PM »
Thanks for the info. I see that you are from IU-Indy originally, what's it like there?

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 12:42:54 AM »
Went there as an undergrad. They're very stingy with scholarships. The school and the area are great. I love the Mainline.

Don't know much about job prospects, but the law school gets some respect, anyway.
VIP.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 04:00:25 PM »
Thanks for the info. I see that you are from IU-Indy originally, what's it like there?

Indiana is great!! I see you are from the Midwest. Do you plan on working the midwest?? Thenyou should really try to go to a midwest school.
  Indylaw is the ONLY law school in Indianapolis, it has a monopoly on the city, if you were from Indy and or wanted to move there INDYLAW should be your top choice. haha
   The school is brandnew, and the facilities are great. They give out decent scholarships also! It is doing better and bettter each year. The only reason I left was b/c I'm an east coaster and wanted to work in philly. You will notice that it is easier to go to a school in the midwest if you are from out of state b/c 1. they want to nationalize their rep and 2. the east coast cities are saturated with law schools and lawyers and law students who want to live nad work in the east coast.
  So.. From your list of schools, if you want to live and work in the midwest you should choose a midwest school. If you want to stay in MI, then you should go to a MI school. We have a decent amount of MI students at INDY, but most are from IN & ILL.
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 04:27:58 PM »
Yeah, I live in Michigan, but I'm not staying here. I lived in NY for 11 years so I could live in the Great Lakes region or move east, I like them both. I like Chicago, Indy, Cleveland, Philly, I've spent time in all of them and I could live in any of them. Basically, I'm going to try my luck and Indiana-B and UW-Madison, and after that I'll see who makes me the better offer, Case, Nova, Pitt, Idy etc. and go there. Or, at least that's my plan at the moment.