Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suggestions for personal statement topic?  (Read 492 times)

BJWriter26

Suggestions for personal statement topic?
« on: September 17, 2008, 10:33:17 PM »
Recently, I've had some trouble coming up with a unique and substantive idea for a PS. Here are some ideas I've thrown around thus far:

1) Writing (Wanted to be a writer as a kid, failed to get on high school newspaper, now write for human rights publication)
2) Family upbringing (black, middle-class, parents first generation college-goers, live in Texas, etc.)
3) History (Concentrating in Ancient Roman history)

Any thoughts on the above? Other suggestions aside from these?

P.S. How connected should the PS be to one's reason for attending law school?

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: Suggestions for personal statement topic?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 10:43:09 PM »
It kinda depends on how you write them, but offhand I would say use 1 for your PS and 2 for your DS.  3 doesn't sound like it'll say very much about you...but of course you could write it so that it does.  I would just make sure 1 doesn't sound like a resume if you chose to do it.
And it's doesn't have to be really connected to law school...if it fits, great, if not, it's not a big deal.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

pre_JD_2be

• PM me! I'll read your PS.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for personal statement topic?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
all of those topics have the potential to be "too big" for a PS, since you really don't want to cover too much time. #2 sounds like it could be a diversity essay, which does not have to be such a holistic piece of writing. Basically, you need to choose a topic that will keep the adcomms engaged for 2-3 pages...and make them like you.

the concentration in Ancient Roman History could be interesting...esp if you can really write about it without boring the socks off of everyone.