Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SMU Reduced Load Program  (Read 3931 times)

gooseisland

• View Profile
SMU Reduced Load Program
« on: September 17, 2008, 09:08:30 PM »
Does anyone have any information about SMUs reduced load program? I currently have a 3.2 and a 159 and was wondering if I would be able to get into the program with these kind of numbers. Also, it ask applicants to write an essay on why they should be admitted into this program. What kind of angle would one take with that essay?

Holden Caulfield

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SMU Reduced Load Program
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 11:44:39 PM »
I believe the reduced load program consists of two years going part time; and then two years full time (or something like that). There's also the night program, which is four years.

You should get into the night program with your numbers; I have no info about the reduced load. However, if you can get your LSAT up 5 or 6 points (December test?), you may get into the day program - maybe even get money. There were several applicants with around a 3.2 and 164 that received $25,000 a year in scholarships.

okayplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:51:44 AM »
I second Holden's advice.  I don't know too much about the reduced load program, I didn't know there was one until the end of my second year (I'm evening).  I do know that you can graduate in three years if you start in the night program - I don't know if you can or not if you start in the reduced load program.  Your numbers are just about a LOCK for nights if you apply early (I applied late with similar numbers - slightly higher GPA, slightly lower LSAT - and it took awhile to get my acceptance).  PM me if you have any further questions about the school or the night program.

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 01:06:34 AM »
im from texas and SMU's tuition is insanely high. even with a 25,000 scholarship it's beyond affordable for me.

Holden Caulfield

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 12:13:43 PM »
im from texas and SMU's tuition is insanely high. even with a 25,000 scholarship it's beyond affordable for me.

$11,000 a year is a steal for an education at a tier 1 school if you ask me

gooseisland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 05:24:28 PM »

Thanks for using my thread to complain about tuition... Anyway, on the application for SMU it lets you choose which programs you would like to attend, (Full-time, Evening, Reduced Load) with an option for picking them all. For reduced load it ask you to write an essay as to why you think you should be considered for this program. If I write the essay for the reduced load program (which is my last choice) would it hurt my chances of getting into the other programs? And also, what kind of angle should of take with an essay like that?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 12:54:08 PM »
Ask around people in Dallas, there are tons of unemployed SMU law graduates.  No, I am not solely talking about 2008 graduates either and I hope they all have rich parents or full scholarships because the lenders are not very forgiving.

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 01:04:25 PM »

$11,000 a year is a steal for an education at a tier 1 school if you ask me

Sorry didnt see the 25k a year part.. in that case I would def. agree! haha.. but I think that doesnt happen too often.

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 01:05:13 PM »

Thanks for using my thread to complain about tuition... Anyway, on the application for SMU it lets you choose which programs you would like to attend, (Full-time, Evening, Reduced Load) with an option for picking them all. For reduced load it ask you to write an essay as to why you think you should be considered for this program. If I write the essay for the reduced load program (which is my last choice) would it hurt my chances of getting into the other programs? And also, what kind of angle should of take with an essay like that?

I apologize. It was more of just a statement that came fluttering out of my head and I didnt realize I shouldnt post about it. Im really sorry if I detracted from your thread (although it's not like it got many responses to where that post could single-handedly destroy the thread).

Best wishes in whatever you decide to do.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 01:35:31 PM »
hopeful, you're just telling the truth.  With tuition of $15K per year, it might be worth it to go to SMU, but anything beyond $20 per year, SMU is not worth it considering the number of its graduates being unemployed, under-employed, etc. 

In-state tuition at UH and Texas Tech are worth considering.