Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Clerkship Question re: Bar Stipend / BarBri payment  (Read 1067 times)

essien

• View Profile
    • Email
Clerkship Question re: Bar Stipend / BarBri payment
« on: September 17, 2008, 06:56:49 PM »
Lucky enough to land a clerkship (Fed. Dist. Ct.) ...  going to firm I summered at the conclusion of the clerkship -- will the firm pay me a bar stipend and pay for barbri in May 09 (even though I won't start there until Sep '10? 

Any thoughts on this are appreciated!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Clerkship Question re: Bar Stipend / BarBri payment
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:28:38 PM »
Lucky enough to land a clerkship (Fed. Dist. Ct.) ...  going to firm I summered at the conclusion of the clerkship -- will the firm pay me a bar stipend and pay for barbri in May 09 (even though I won't start there until Sep '10? 

Any thoughts on this are appreciated!

Wouldn't the better place to go for an answer be your firm?  Firms all have their own policy on everything from HOW they pay for bar review (stipend, reimbursement, payment directly to bar course) to how they handle clerkships. 

The short answer is that it MAY depend on your judge more than anything else - you could get a stipend/bar payment IF you can accept the offer from your firm; but some judges do NOT allow their clerks to accept any offers until near the end of their clerkship for conflicts reasons.  But ultimately, without giving the name of your firm, no one's reply will really answer your question.

Go call whoever is in charge of issuing stipends at your firm.  My suggestion for a good place to start would be the staff person who was your contact point over the summer for HR related stuff.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »
Dont a lot if not most clerkships frown upon you studying for the bar while you are clerking?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »
Dont a lot if not most clerkships frown upon you studying for the bar while you are clerking?

No.  In fact, some judges want people to start "early" and tell people they're smart, they can handle studying for the bar while clerking (which is just sort of evil).

And most of my friends who are clerking in the federal system didn't even start until right after the bar exam.