Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many schools should I apply to?  (Read 1260 times)

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How many schools should I apply to?
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:22:59 PM »
I am having trouble deciding. I only want to apply places that I really do want to go, obviously I want to have safety schools. But it gets expensive to apply to too many places. Does anyone have a magic number suggestion?

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How many schools should I apply to?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »
Depends on what your numbers are.

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 02:29:22 PM »
Low gpa 3.3 LSAT 168

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 03:10:39 PM »
I'm sure my post will be controversial, but here goes...

I don't believe that one should submit more than 7-8 applications.  On the one hand, it does get expensive to apply to more than this number - ultimately, you can only go to one.  Moreover, I believe that most people cannot have done thorough research AND narrow their choices down to a number of schools greater than 8.  In other words, I don't believe that one can legitimately claim that he/she would go to each of any 8+ schools.

Fee waivers may counteract the financial argument a bit.  If you have significant fee waivers, you can apply to as many schools as you want to.  However, I still don't think that you should apply to more than 8 (2 reach; 4 target; 2 safeties).  If you do the research on the market that you want to work in, and to the institutions you are considering, I doubt you will find that there are more than 8 schools that you would ACTUALLY attend.  I find it is a much better idea to focus on 5-7 schools, and sincerely target each school.  Don't just cast a wide net - cast a well-aimed one.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 03:24:29 PM »
Under normal circumstances, I totally agree with you, comotellamas. However, I think this cycle is going to be wicked competitive - thousands of people are being laid off by Lehman Brothers alone. That will definitely affect the application cycle. To be perfectly honest, I don't think that the results are going to be as predictable as they have been for the past two or three years. Across the board, I think it's going to get harder to get in.

Sure, people who are just laid off probably won't be able to get their stuff together in time for the October LSAT and will apply late, if at all. But there are also lots of people who will be able to, or people who graduated last year and haven't been able to find work.

For a 3.3/168, I would expand the list to 2-3 reaches, 5-6 targets, 2-3 safeties, with hopefully about half being covered by fee waivers. Those are unpredictable numbers even in a normal cycle.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
Under normal circumstances, I totally agree with you, comotellamas. However, I think this cycle is going to be wicked competitive - thousands of people are being laid off by Lehman Brothers alone. That will definitely affect the application cycle. To be perfectly honest, I don't think that the results are going to be as predictable as they have been for the past two or three years. Across the board, I think it's going to get harder to get in.

Sure, people who are just laid off probably won't be able to get their stuff together in time for the October LSAT and will apply late, if at all. But there are also lots of people who will be able to, or people who graduated last year and haven't been able to find work.

For a 3.3/168, I would expand the list to 2-3 reaches, 5-6 targets, 2-3 safeties, with hopefully about half being covered by fee waivers. Those are unpredictable numbers even in a normal cycle.

TITCR.  I totally agree that this cycle will be even more difficult than the last.  I'm sure one or two schools will surprise some people (positively or negatively) this round as well. 

Also, 3.3/168 is a hell of a combo.  Talk about a splitter.  Just numbers-wise I would say apply to:

Reach - Cornell/GULC/UT
Target - Vandy/GWU/BC/USC
Safety - Fordham/BU/U-Washington
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 04:54:59 PM »
Also, 3.3/168 is a hell of a combo.  Talk about a splitter.  Just numbers-wise I would say apply to:

Reach - Cornell/GULC/UT
Target - Vandy/GWU/BC/USC
Safety - Fordham/BU/U-Washington
[/quote]

I think you are being generous haha! I am applying to: U-Washington,  Seattle Univ, Gonzaga, Lewis and Clark, University of Minnesota, Willamette

convicted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 04:58:18 PM »
The money argument doesn't make any sense to me. It is totally irrational.

You are applying to law school next. The price of applications is part of the total expenses you will pay to attend law school.

Next year, when law school starts, you will dish out around $50,000 to attend. Much of it will be loaned.

Right now, you are freaking out as to whether your first law school expense should be $100, $500, or even (gasp!) $1,000!

Madness.

augusta

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 05:51:33 PM »
The money argument doesn't make any sense to me. It is totally irrational.

You are applying to law school next. The price of applications is part of the total expenses you will pay to attend law school.

Next year, when law school starts, you will dish out around $50,000 to attend. Much of it will be loaned.

Right now, you are freaking out as to whether your first law school expense should be $100, $500, or even (gasp!) $1,000!

Madness.

Madness..? I'm not sure about that. Paying for school with loans is one thing. Spraying the field with applications at $50-$70/shot is an out-of-pocket expense that a lot of people can't afford. They don't give you loans to try to get IN to law school...
3.67/Oct. LSAT

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 06:26:12 PM »

I think you are being generous haha! I am applying to: U-Washington,  Seattle Univ, Gonzaga, Lewis and Clark, University of Minnesota, Willamette

I'm guessing you want to stay on the west coast, but you're really selling yourself short with schools.  How bout USC?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.