Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When should I take the LSAT?  (Read 2092 times)

Farmer's Daughter

• View Profile
Re: When should I take the LSAT?
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 08:40:47 PM »
158-172 is quite a range of expected scores.  How realistic are you are being?  I've been studying hours a day for months and it's much easier to sit around and think you can score in the 170s than actually doing it.
"Stomping on grapes, coming up with blue feet and beer"

Holden Caulfield

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 10:36:33 PM »
I realize students and graduates may be better able to answer this question for me:
Here is the skinny: I can take the LSAT October 4th and score between a 158-164 with a GPA of a 3.13 or apply in December confident to score a 165-172 with a GPA of about a 3.25. I also have some character issues I will have to explain and probably request interviews if possible. I know most schools have rolling admission. Here are some of the schools I want to apply to:Fordham, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Brooklyn Law, Cordoza School of Law. Would I be most advantageous to take it in October or December. If I do go to Seton Hall I would like to try and get scholarship money. I realize there is no set answer so give me your opinion.

Given the two scenarios I would take the December test. That said, I'm not sure how realistically anyone can forecast their future improvements on the LSAT.

Of course, no one knows your abilities better than you. If you're confident you can get it up there, I say go for it.

stbjm02

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 11:03:36 PM »
I have studied for over 250 hours and have scored between 159-164 on timed practice tests. That score is with getting half of the reading comprehension wrong. I am going to really focus on that and sharpen up my games a lot. Logical reasoning is my best section. I have improved dramatically since I started studying back in april of this year. I still feel like I have room for improvement and am confident in my ability to score at least a 167 by December.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 01:21:02 AM »
I have studied for over 250 hours and have scored between 159-164 on timed practice tests. That score is with getting half of the reading comprehension wrong. I am going to really focus on that and sharpen up my games a lot. Logical reasoning is my best section. I have improved dramatically since I started studying back in april of this year. I still feel like I have room for improvement and am confident in my ability to score at least a 167 by December.

That's some big time overconfidence.  Let us go how it really goes there big shot lol.

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 08:10:26 AM »
Ok, maybe I wasn't clear the first time, so I'll break it down:

1) The job market sucks if you're not at a top school, so you need a 170+ score to go anywhere T14 - especially if you're a white male. Our country currently hates white males. Don't know why.

2) Practice tests are NOT good indicators of your performance on test day (b/c it's not easy to recreate the actual testing environment, and you're probably cheating).

3) If you haven't taken a serious LSAT prep course, and you self-prep'd, you're probably in serious trouble (b/c the LSAT is DEFINITELY a preparedness test, NOT a "natural intelligence" affair).

4) Even if you score a 170+, some guy, like me, will probably destroy your GPA your first year because he's so pissed about his LSAT performance that he gets all A's to prove the test is crap.

** If you're still reading, and you're still interested in law school - know this - if you want anything bad enough, you'll probably get it one way or another... Even if that means transferring schools after your first year... But it's a tough road... Are you ready for that? Because if you aren't, and you're way too soft inside, you might not make it past your first semester... Several law students commit suicide each year either b/c they realize they won't be in biglaw when they graduate and cannot pay off the loans.  Several students report working harder than they ever have before only to finish at the bottom of their class... What will you do if this happens?  Three years of your life will disappear in the blink of an eye once you start, are you sure you will get a job that makes that exchange worth it?

I am trying to scare you a bit, but I'm not lying, don't waste your life just because you can't think of anything else to do.  YOU HAVE TO WANT THIS REALLY BAD OR YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT.

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 08:50:36 AM »
Ok, maybe I wasn't clear the first time, so I'll break it down:

1) The job market sucks if you're not at a top school, so you need a 170+ score to go anywhere T14 - especially if you're a white male. Our country currently hates white males. Don't know why.

2) Practice tests are NOT good indicators of your performance on test day (b/c it's not easy to recreate the actual testing environment, and you're probably cheating).

3) If you haven't taken a serious LSAT prep course, and you self-prep'd, you're probably in serious trouble (b/c the LSAT is DEFINITELY a preparedness test, NOT a "natural intelligence" affair).

4) Even if you score a 170+, some guy, like me, will probably destroy your GPA your first year because he's so pissed about his LSAT performance that he gets all A's to prove the test is crap.

** If you're still reading, and you're still interested in law school - know this - if you want anything bad enough, you'll probably get it one way or another... Even if that means transferring schools after your first year... But it's a tough road... Are you ready for that? Because if you aren't, and you're way too soft inside, you might not make it past your first semester... Several law students commit suicide each year either b/c they realize they won't be in biglaw when they graduate and cannot pay off the loans.  Several students report working harder than they ever have before only to finish at the bottom of their class... What will you do if this happens?  Three years of your life will disappear in the blink of an eye once you start, are you sure you will get a job that makes that exchange worth it?

I am trying to scare you a bit, but I'm not lying, don't waste your life just because you can't think of anything else to do.  YOU HAVE TO WANT THIS REALLY BAD OR YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT.

whoa.  its obvious that the op is a bit naive, but this is over the top.

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 12:17:08 AM »
you know me, I'm always...

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 01:37:14 AM »

I've been shooting free throws and jump shots a lot lately in my driveway.  I do it every day, and I'm shooting about 80% from behind the line.  Lay-ups are my best shot.  I know I have a lot of room to improve, but with all of the time I'm putting in, I'm confident that I'll be good enough to be signed to the Knicks by the end of the year.

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 01:53:05 PM »