Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan's New "No LSAT" Admissions  (Read 1507 times)

Migrate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Michigan's New "No LSAT" Admissions
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:35:12 AM »
http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/admissions/applyingtomichigan/Pages/WolverineScholars.aspx

LSAT requiredment waived for UMICH undergrads!

Expect Michigan's ranking to go up in the coming years. This policy allows Michigan to fill their in-state residency requirement with high GPA people. While boosting median GPA, it doesn't affect their median LSAT (actually, that means median LSAT will go up, since residents pull down their median LSAT). I expect that it will also increase application volume and yield rate. Very smart move.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan's New "No LSAT" Admissions
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 03:32:42 AM »
http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/admissions/applyingtomichigan/Pages/WolverineScholars.aspx

LSAT requiredment waived for UMICH undergrads!

Expect Michigan's ranking to go up in the coming years. This policy allows Michigan to fill their in-state residency requirement with high GPA people. While boosting median GPA, it doesn't affect their median LSAT (actually, that means median LSAT will go up, since residents pull down their median LSAT). I expect that it will also increase application volume and yield rate. Very smart move.

It's stupid.

1.  the program applies to all UM UG's, not just in-staters.  Since outstate students (about 40% of UM UG) come in with higher numbers, they'll tend to have the highest GPA's, and will tend to fill up the program.

2.  It appears to be a backdoor way to practice AA, if you read it carefully.  Either way, it will likely weaken the student body.

3.  USNews will probably find a way to account for the omitted LSAT scores in a way that hurts UM's ranking, not helps it.  Which should probably be the case, since they're watering down their standards.

Looks like Michigan is continuing to strive to lose its traditional top 5 reputation.  Apparently being tied with NW in the rankings isn't embarrasing enough for them.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 03:35:41 AM »
Interesting. But they are trying it this year? Was that timeline right? They decide in the 09 summer for students starting fall '10. But I guess its a neat idea.

In the long run, it will help high LSAT splitters to get in there, I guess, right? Too bad it won't be started this year.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 03:37:13 AM »
Interesting. But they are trying it this year? Was that timeline right? They decide in the 09 summer for students starting fall '10. But I guess its a neat idea.

In the long run, it will help high LSAT splitters to get in there, I guess, right? Too bad it won't be started this year.

If you have a high LSAT, it obviously won't help you.  It would rather hurt you.

(I don't believe they average anymore, do they?)

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 03:41:31 AM »

If you have a high LSAT, it obviously won't help you.  It would rather hurt you.

I thought it might weaken their student body as well. But I don't see how it would hurt high lsats. They can buoy our bad gpa's with their high, unconnected to LSAT gpa. Therefore, gpa would be minimized a bit when looking at other applicants, making LSAT more important. Right? Or am I missing something?

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 03:46:07 AM »

I thought it might weaken their student body as well. But I don't see how it would hurt high lsats. They can buoy our bad gpa's with their high, unconnected to LSAT gpa. Therefore, gpa would be minimized a bit when looking at other applicants, making LSAT more important. Right? Or am I missing something?

Okay, I was thinking in terms of those applying under the program.  In that case, if you had a high LSAT, and didn't disclose it, then that would clearly hurt you.

However, for other applicants, you may be right.

I still don't see how USNews would let them get away with this without penalizing them in some way, though.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 04:00:07 AM »

Okay, I was thinking in terms of those applying under the program.  In that case, if you had a high LSAT, and didn't disclose it, then that would clearly hurt you.

However, for other applicants, you may be right.

I still don't see how USNews would let them get away with this without penalizing them in some way, though.

So what do they expect the UG kids to do? Take the LSAT in June? They won't know if they would be accepted or not until late July, so thats out, meaning they could hamper their chances in the cycle by waiting on michigan acceptance. But say they take it but also get accepted by UM, and then get their score back and its like a 155? Or what if they get accepted and decide to take the LSAT in october, than bomb it, like something in the 130s. Thats possible, right? And US NEWS would know the score.

Migrate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 07:25:07 AM »
I'm assuming students will take the October LSAT if they do not get in / are not satisfied with Michigan's offer. in response to Lindburgh, I do not think it will lower the standard. Considering UM's median UG gpa of 3.2, it's likely that a MINIMUM GPA of 3.8 just to APPLY will yield very smart students.

While being tied with NW is actually quite unfortunate, it's not like michigan's ACTUAL reputation has fallen (ie..  employment, supreme court clerkships, alumni, reputation survey). it can go up to #6 on US news in a blink if it wants to. Michigan never focused so much on numbers (relative to what it can do), and probably never will.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 07:53:21 PM »
I'm assuming students will take the October LSAT if they do not get in / are not satisfied with Michigan's offer.

But what if they want to test the waters of other law schools after being accepted to Michigan, take the lsat, and suck, or do average, or just above average. They could still just go to michigan and their lsat wouldn't hurt them, but would hurt michigan.

Migrate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 09:35:08 PM »
I think that's why one of the rules of the program is that you cannot take the LSAT.