Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Secured 1L summer job  (Read 4073 times)

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
Secured 1L summer job
« on: September 17, 2008, 12:28:57 AM »
Has anyone, from either UCLA, LMU, or USC been offered a 1L summer clerkship as a recruiting tool before 1L year even started? I've heard about it, and I am wondering the details.

Also, does anyone know where I can find avg. starting salaries for beginning associates at firms? That doesnt require subscription? Thanks!

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Secured 1L summer job
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 12:38:31 AM »
Has anyone, from either UCLA, LMU, or USC been offered a 1L summer clerkship as a recruiting tool before 1L year even started? I've heard about it, and I am wondering the details.

Also, does anyone know where I can find avg. starting salaries for beginning associates at firms? That doesnt require subscription? Thanks!

First question, no clue.

Second question, www.nalpdirectory.com is a good, official, place to start looking at specific firms.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 01:00:01 AM »
Very unlikely.

Under NALP rules, employers are not supposed to even be talking to 1Ls until Dec 1st. Most firms that have summer programs pay 160k to starting associates. A few more regional firms might pay low 6 figures. Generally, getting a 1L position at a firm is pretty tough unless you go to Yale, Harvard, or Stanford.

There is the potential that someone could get a summer offer from a small firm that is not a member of nalp, but it wouldn't be a formal summer program like the big firms have.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

TeeTwenty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 02:28:22 AM »
Very unlikely.

Under NALP rules, employers are not supposed to even be talking to 1Ls until Dec 1st. Most firms that have summer programs pay 160k to starting associates. A few more regional firms might pay low 6 figures. Generally, getting a 1L position at a firm is pretty tough unless you go to Yale, Harvard, or Stanford.

There is the potential that someone could get a summer offer from a small firm that is not a member of nalp, but it wouldn't be a formal summer program like the big firms have.

Eh... big-market BIGLAW firms are paying 160, as are some of the more profitable boutiques. Regional firms in major markets, like NY, will probably follow the bigger firms, but in smaller markets, NJ/Philadelphia/Nashville/Anchorage/etc, expect the high-end to be closer to 140k, and some firms won't even break 6 figures.

As another poster said, NALPDirectory.com is a good place to look.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:42:55 AM »
Nealric is also off on this one and doesn't seem to know much outside the top firms.  Non-NALP firms frequently have formal summer programs like the big firms have.  Most firms that have summer programs do not necessarily pay $160k to starting associates.  Plenty of Vault or NALP firms start at $125-130k or $145k. 

I was basing my response of the assumption that the OP was in LA based on the schools he cited. While there might be some mid sized non-nalp firms paying less there, they represent a small portion of the total jobs available in a large market like LA.  The vast majority of firms paying 125-145K are on nalp (and are therefore bound by their rules) and are what I was considering the more regional firms paying low six figures.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?