Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seeking Advice: ask for deadline extension for extremely short offer term?  (Read 1105 times)

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I've got an offer from a firm that I would like to work at, but they're only giving me two weeks to decide and I've still got other interviews to do. 

What should I do?  If I ask for an extension, will they view me as someone who's not really into the firm?  Would they lose enthusiasm about hiring me? 

I'd appreciate any advice. 

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
if you got an offer from a firm you'd like to work at, then go work for them.  what's to decide??

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
if you got an offer from a firm you'd like to work at, then go work for them.  what's to decide??

It's possible that I would rather work for other firms that I may receive offers from in the next couple of weeks.  I'd like the option of determining if I like those firms better. 

This is why firms are supposed to follow the NALP guidelines!  Dammit. 

kipford

• View Profile
Is the firm part of NALP?  My understanding is that they are bound by the 45 day rule if they are.  If they are not part of NALP then the 45 day rule is probably of no relevance.

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is the firm part of NALP?  My understanding is that they are bound by the 45 day rule if they are.  If they are not part of NALP then the 45 day rule is probably of no relevance.

Yes it is a NALP firm. 

This was my understanding also, but apparently the NALP rules are merely guidelines and they don't have to follow them if they don't want to.   

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
No one has any insight as to whether it looks bad to ask for a deadline extension?  That's the real question here. 

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Yes it is a NALP firm. 

This was my understanding also, but apparently the NALP rules are merely guidelines and they don't have to follow them if they don't want to.   

It's pretty shady that they aren't following the guidelines if they're members of NALP.  Given this, are you sure you'd even want to work there?  Ask for an extension.  Two weeks is far too little time for a decision that will affect the rest of your career.
2L