Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need help on how to think better in the morning  (Read 1328 times)

Dionysus0

• View Profile
Need help on how to think better in the morning
« on: September 15, 2008, 11:59:41 PM »
I have been practicing for the LSAT consistently in the afternoon until last week when I started in the morning. However, my test score dropped by approximately 10 points when I took a practice test in the morning. I have started to adjust my sleep schedule to waking up at 7:00 am. Is this sufficient to being able to perform at my afternoon level in the morning or should I try something in addition to this?

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need help on how to think better in the morning
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:35:30 AM »
I would get up earlier (like 6:00).  You may also want to consider some light exercise after you wake up, a decent breakfast, etc.

sorrynoidforme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:37:34 AM »
Wake up earlier and begin reading. Once you have warmed up, then switch to reading LSAT material. It takes a few tries to adjust to morning studying. Aside from that, you can just force yourself to adapt to the new schedule.

Dionysus0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 11:55:55 AM »
my advice:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/18/1-coffee/

That's a funny article, but I don't want to be jittery and crash during the test.

tbj2102

• View Profile
    • Commentary and Criticism on Everything
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 12:33:20 PM »
I would recommend not drinking caffeine before or during the test. Caffeine can put you into an over-hyped state, and increases the risk that you will panic needlessly.

I'm an instructor for Powerscore, and when I teach my classes, we have 3 full-length tests on Saturday mornings (as I think most test prep companies do). I think it's very important to practice the experience of waking up and taking a 5-section test in the morning several times.

Other than practicing, you should definitely eat a healthy breakfast and get a good night's sleep beforehand. Some students benefit from doing a few problems to warm up before the actual test, but I wouldn't overdo it since you already are taking 5 sections and you don't want to get fatigued by the end.
Retired LSAT teacher

nontradintexas

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 03:03:27 PM »
While I understand where tbj is coming from, not drinking caffeine might be a terrible thing to do if drinking caffeine in the morning is what you are used to.  Depriving yourself of at least a moderate amount of caffeine if you are used to drinking it could cause headaches or other problems that would distract you.  I think moderation is the key, though.  If you normally drink a cup of coffee in the morning, drink one.  But only one, not three cups for that "extra boost".  You'll have enough of a boost from adrenaline. 

The best advice I can give would be to follow your normal routine, provided your normal routine is not waking up at noon.  If that's the case, you should have tested in June (12:30 start).   ;)  Definitely eat breakfast, just make sure it's not carb-heavy, as you don't want to sleep through sections 2 through 5. 

If you don't normally, start getting up early every morning, and start that a few weeks before you test.  Try to get up about the same time you will have to get up on test day.  Eat your breakfast, do some studying, and get your mind and body used to working at that time of day.

Good luck!

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 05:23:01 PM »
While I understand where tbj is coming from, not drinking caffeine might be a terrible thing to do if drinking caffeine in the morning is what you are used to.  Depriving yourself of at least a moderate amount of caffeine if you are used to drinking it could cause headaches or other problems that would distract you.  I think moderation is the key, though.  If you normally drink a cup of coffee in the morning, drink one.  But only one, not three cups for that "extra boost".  You'll have enough of a boost from adrenaline. 

Agreed...sorry my post wasn't a very serious answer, that site just cracks me up.  But yeah, don't start if you don't already or if caffeine has a serious impact on you. 
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »
I have big problems with this.

I've been working on getting up early since June. Still not used to it. I always have trouble falling asleep..I can have an 18 hour day, full of physical activities, and feel totally drained..and I will lay awake for hours and hours. This has been a consistent problem for me since graduating high school.

When I wake up at 7am, I feel retarded until about 9. The ONE thing I have found to help me get going is riding my bike for like 10 - 20 minutes. I just cruise around the neighborhood a few times. It gets your blood flowing, and I think trying to not get hit by a car gets my brain going.

If you don't ride a bike, maybe you could take a short walk.

I see some people are suggesting reading after you wake up..but I've found that just makes me tired. I'm sure it's an individual thing.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 08:40:57 PM »

The best advice I can give would be to follow your normal routine, provided your normal routine is not waking up at noon.  If that's the case, you should have tested in June (12:30 start).   ;)  Definitely eat breakfast, just make sure it's not carb-heavy, as you don't want to sleep through sections 2 through 5. 

If you don't normally, start getting up early every morning, and start that a few weeks before you test.  Try to get up about the same time you will have to get up on test day.  Eat your breakfast, do some studying, and get your mind and body used to working at that time of day.

Good luck!

Titcr.  Don't stop now if you're used to drinking coffee, and get used to it now if you're not already.

Coffee accelerates your metabolism and digestive process, so be sure you know exactly how your coffee and breakfast will interact under test conditions.  Practice eating Bfast and taking the test at the official time, etc.