Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sending only one thank-you card/letter to the firm after a callback?  (Read 2298 times)

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
Do you folks normally send one thank-you to the recruiting coordinator after an interview, and ask him/her to extend your thanks to your interviewers? This is what our school's Career Services Office suggests doing, although they said that if you really "clicked" with a certain interviewer, it's cool if you send a personalized thank-you to that specific person.

Or, do you guys still send individual thank-yous to every single interviewer?

Thanks!

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Sending only one thank-you card/letter to the firm after a callback?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:13:47 PM »
I just sent a collective note to the recruiter for both of the callbacks I've done so far. While I did click pretty well with a couple of the interviewers, I determined that coming up with something sufficiently personal without sounding cheesy, etc. was too difficult. I actually wrote out a couple of "personal" ones, didn't like the way they read, and reverted to a collective note. One has already resulted in a positive outcome.

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 03:02:21 PM »
I don't see the point of doing a collective note...I mean, do you really think the recruiting person will get your note and then immediately email the hiring partners or whomever and tell them that you thanked her for having you at the callback?
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 04:41:31 PM »
I don't see the point of doing a collective note...I mean, do you really think the recruiting person will get your note and then immediately email the hiring partners or whomever and tell them that you thanked her for having you at the callback?

The point of the note is not not sending a note.
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 07:17:29 PM »
FWIW I just got an offer from a firm I only sent one thank-you note to.

No, the recruiter is probably not going to personally send thanks to each interviewer. However, the note will make it into your file which will be reviewed when your status goes to committee.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 02:16:53 PM »
Hmm, I'm been doing the one note thing, but to the hiring partner (or someone else on the hiring committee who interviewed me).  If there's nobody on the hiring committee, I'll send it to the attorney that I clicked the most with (or the one who interviewed me first) and CC the recruiter.  I have no idea if this is good or bad.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

superduperxyz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 09:40:54 PM »
I have sent personal thank yous to every person I met with at each law firm (via email).  I try to include at least something we discussed, and try to affirm my interest in the firm.  I have gotten offers from essentially all the firms I interviewed with.  I think it's rude to ignore anyone you met with, and only email the "important" people.  Of course, if you really connect with someone, send them a longer email.  Also, I only email recruiters if I met with them for more then 5 seconds (otherwise it just seems weird).  I go to a good school (CCN), but my grades suck, and I have five V5-V20 offers.  So interviews and the impression you make can definitely make a difference, at least in my experience.

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 10:34:16 PM »
I don't send thank you notes.
2L

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:00:12 AM »
Interviewers. Email is fine.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 11:52:21 AM »
I send personal notes via snail mail to everyone, but I do the one e-mail to the recruiter just in case the mail takes an inordinate amount of time to get there.  From what I gather, the firm gets LOADS of these thank yous. But I mean, while it's NOT like the partners are sitting there WAITING on your thank you to arrive, I think when they get it, they're much more likely to remember you and vote for an offer.  Especially if you write well.  Make them cry.