Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2 callbacks and 2 rejections, why?  (Read 9286 times)

intel

• View Profile
Re: 2 callbacks and 2 rejections, why?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 02:05:54 PM »
Intel: You've done your homework, but I was fortunate enough to jump up a little higher on the commercial prestige scale -

I just remember you posting some questions about GULC over the summer on the transfer board. Regardless, if you have an offer paying market you really shouldn't worry about anything because that is a pretty great accomplishment. if you're not happy with your options and they aren't prestigious enough for you just apply next year or clerk and then apply (though this is of course a tougher route to an associate position).

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 11:33:27 PM »
So, to clarify, the new NALP guidelines change the Dec. 1 deadline and instead make it so we have 45 days to accept/decline?

And I think some of the posters here are way too paranoid. Or maybe I'm naive?  :P
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

h2xblive

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 11:59:28 PM »
So, to clarify, the new NALP guidelines change the Dec. 1 deadline and instead make it so we have 45 days to accept/decline?

And I think some of the posters here are way too paranoid. Or maybe I'm naive?  :P

We will be futures lawyers...is it necessarily a bad thing that we act paranoid?  :P

As for the NALP guideline changes (I believe you understand them correctly), I would assume firms would send out offers sooner, so they can have up to 2-3 rounds of offers.  So far, I haven't heard or noticed any difference in offer timing.

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 12:08:09 AM »

We will be futures lawyers...is it necessarily a bad thing that we act paranoid?  :P

As for the NALP guideline changes (I believe you understand them correctly), I would assume firms would send out offers sooner, so they can have up to 2-3 rounds of offers.  So far, I haven't heard or noticed any difference in offer timing.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm plenty paranoid. I mainly meant about the posts of firms coming together and making deals in smoke-filled rooms about which firm will accept which applicants.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

h2xblive

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 12:15:18 AM »

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm plenty paranoid. I mainly meant about the posts of firms coming together and making deals in smoke-filled rooms about which firm will accept which applicants.

Even future lawyers have imaginations. 0:)

dimrod80

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 04:37:24 PM »
I've already posted this elsewhere, but just to add to this discussion.  I am T14/top 10%/LR.  I originally got 15 callbacks (10 from V50s).  I went on a round of 5 interviews and got 5 rejections.  I talked to OCS, did a mock interview, wrote some letters to try and figure out what was going wrong.  Went on 4 more interviews, got 1 offer and 3 rejections.  I've since accepted the offer and canceled the rest of my schedule.  Ultimately, I am very happy with my offer (if I'd gotten all offers, this firm would easily have been my #1 or #2 choice), however, the numerous rejections (after what seemed like great interviews) and the fact that I felt like I didn't have a choice sucked!  I've taken it personally and feel pretty bad about my interview skills, but reading this discussion has made me feel slightly better.  Maybe it is just the times... 

h2xblive

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 06:30:07 PM »
I've already posted this elsewhere, but just to add to this discussion.  I am T14/top 10%/LR.  I originally got 15 callbacks (10 from V50s).  I went on a round of 5 interviews and got 5 rejections.  I talked to OCS, did a mock interview, wrote some letters to try and figure out what was going wrong.  Went on 4 more interviews, got 1 offer and 3 rejections.  I've since accepted the offer and canceled the rest of my schedule.  Ultimately, I am very happy with my offer (if I'd gotten all offers, this firm would easily have been my #1 or #2 choice), however, the numerous rejections (after what seemed like great interviews) and the fact that I felt like I didn't have a choice sucked!  I've taken it personally and feel pretty bad about my interview skills, but reading this discussion has made me feel slightly better.  Maybe it is just the times... 

This post certainly doesn't make me very optimistic, but I guess it's better to be realistic about my chances.

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 07:31:09 PM »
out of nowhere, got another callback today, so, like, don't give up. Did NOT see this one coming.

h2xblive

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 07:31:36 PM »
out of nowhere, got another callback today, so, like, don't give up. Did NOT see this one coming.

How much time had elapsed b/w the callback and the offer?