Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2 callbacks and 2 rejections, why?  (Read 9467 times)

Meek

• View Profile
2 callbacks and 2 rejections, why?
« on: September 14, 2008, 09:27:20 PM »
Pretty depressed right now after two callback rejections came in. All the people at both firms seemed very interested in me. I seemed to have interviewed well and got many replies to my thank you notes as well. I knew my grades were out of range for both of these firms, but then why did they waste two days of my life each just to have me waste their time? Anyone else having this problem? Thanks.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
Re: 2 callbacks and 2 rejections, why?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 11:31:56 PM »
If you know you interview well, then I'd chalk it up to the economy. Which isn't really a heartwarming response, but there's almost nothing you can do about it. Keep applying, and I guess target smaller mid-size firms and government jobs for next summer. Gvmt internships actually pay (and some of them quite well) for 2L summers, which is a nice option.

How long was it between the callback and the rejection? I assumed with the NALP rules, firms would be waiting on sending out rejections and offers.

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 11:49:19 PM »

How long was it between the callback and the rejection? I assumed with the NALP rules, firms would be waiting on sending out rejections and offers.

Don't you think they would send out offers quicker to the ones they liked, then wait for the ones they were unsure about?  The new rules would seem to encourage this...

And I've heard mixed things about whether or not firms care about grades if you've already gotten a callback.  I have a feeling it varies...some firms might call lots of people back in order to see which ones are weirdos, verify that everyone is fine, and then give them all offers.  Contrast that with firms who might give lots of callbacks, verify that everyone is fine, and then give offers to the ones with the highest grades.   
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:53:32 PM »
Don't you think they would send out offers quicker to the ones they liked, then wait for the ones they were unsure about?  The new rules would seem to encourage this...

Yes, I just assume they're meeting with more people they sort of like vs. people they know they want for sure. Not all the people they love will interview early on, either, so I just assumed most people would be not hearing rather than hearing quickly one way or another.

But, it is going to be kind of odd to get an offer after a month or two.  Kind of indicates how they feel about you (maybe not thought, this is all conjecture).

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 11:57:44 PM »
Don't you think they would send out offers quicker to the ones they liked, then wait for the ones they were unsure about?  The new rules would seem to encourage this...

Yes, I just assume they're meeting with more people they sort of like vs. people they know they want for sure. Not all the people they love will interview early on, either, so I just assumed most people would be not hearing rather than hearing quickly one way or another.

But, it is going to be kind of odd to get an offer after a month or two.  Kind of indicates how they feel about you (maybe not thought, this is all conjecture).

I'm also thinking that maybe firms aren't actually thinking about this that much.  They might have a *way* they do things, and they might not be stressing out about doing it slightly differently because now students "have to" commit earlier than before. 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

Meek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 01:54:13 AM »
One firm, V100, took only 1 week to reject me. The other, regional nalp firm, took 2 weeks to reject me... I only have 1 nalp interview I haven't heard back from... Yeah, I seriously hope 3rd time is the charm...

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 06:55:49 PM »
If you get a callback and a rejection, odds are its because you're too genuine. STOP IT WITH THE TRUTH STUFF ALREADY. Geez.

h2xblive

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »
If you get a callback and a rejection, odds are its because you're too genuine. STOP IT WITH THE TRUTH STUFF ALREADY. Geez.

What do you suggest people do, instead of telling the truth?

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:57:34 PM »
Here's what I'd do:

Detach yourself completely from your true feelings and just sort of say everything with enthusiasm and a smile. Don't wrinkle your brow, and vice versa, don't get TOO happy. Just. Positive.

Whatever it is THEY do. That's what YOU want to do. And you think their poo's perfect and distinct, even though it's fungible just like most law firms.

Drown your skepticism. Drown your pride.

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »
So, I am faring a lot worse than the OP is and I don't know why.  I'm at a top30 school, law review, top 10%.  All of my callbacks(5+) interviews have gone well, no real mistakes that i can tell, and I have nothing to show for it.  By the way the firms are running away from me, i almost feel like my background check must be coming back with a report that I am a child molester.

Most of my interviews tend to run over the 20-30 time allotment, the conversations are engaging(at least i feel that they are), and there has been no awkward responses or silence.  I am interviewing in cities that I have strong connections to and always do a lot of research on the firm/interviewer.

So what gives?  I guess i am "that guy" that brings down the callback-to-offer ratio.  I am waiting to hear back from 5 firms and still have 4 more to go, but I am getting really worried at this point.