Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question on specific LG question. Can someone please help?  (Read 1617 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Question on specific LG question. Can someone please help?
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:16:05 PM »
Here is a question that I got wrong on PT #42.  The correct answer puzzles me, so I am hoping someone can set me straight.

"For the school paper, five students--Jiang, Kramer, Lopez, Megregian, and O'Neill--each review one or more of exactly three plays: Sunset, Tamerlane, and Undulation, but do not review any other plays.  The following conditions must apply:
    Kramer and Lopez each review fewer of the plays the Megregian.
    Neither Lopez nor Megregian reviews any play Jiang reviews.
    Kramer and O'Neill both review Tamerlane.
    Exactly two of the students review exactly the same play or plays as each other.

Which one of the following could be an accurate and complete list of the students who review only Sunset?

A) Lopez
B) O'Neill
C) Jiang, Lopez
D) Kramer, O'Neill
E) Lopez, Megregian"

The correct answer is (A), but I don't understand why it is not (C).

Sunset: Jiang
Tamerlane: Megregian, O'Neill, Kramer
Undulation: Megregian, O'Neill, Lopez

OR

Sunset: Megregian, O'Neill, Lopez
Undulation: Jiang

In the first scenario, Jiang is the student who reviews ONLY Sunset.  In the second scenario, Lopez is the student who reviews ONLY Sunset.

Why is this not correct? 

If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

eslite119

• View Profile
Re: Question on specific LG question. Can someone please help?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:50:07 PM »
I think you misunderstood the question.  Question states: "Which one of the following COULD be an accurate and complete list of the students who review only Sunset?"

In other words, under certain situation (and abiding by the rules states), which one of the following can be a complete list of those who only review Sunset?

Jiang and Lopez cannot be review a same play according to rule 2.

nevdash

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - myxlastxbreath
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »
Here is a question that I got wrong on PT #42.  The correct answer puzzles me, so I am hoping someone can set me straight.

"For the school paper, five students--Jiang, Kramer, Lopez, Megregian, and O'Neill--each review one or more of exactly three plays: Sunset, Tamerlane, and Undulation, but do not review any other plays.  The following conditions must apply:
    Kramer and Lopez each review fewer of the plays the Megregian.
    Neither Lopez nor Megregian reviews any play Jiang reviews.
    Kramer and O'Neill both review Tamerlane.
    Exactly two of the students review exactly the same play or plays as each other.

Which one of the following could be an accurate and complete list of the students who review only Sunset?

A) Lopez
B) O'Neill
C) Jiang, Lopez
D) Kramer, O'Neill
E) Lopez, Megregian"

The correct answer is (A), but I don't understand why it is not (C).

Sunset: Jiang
Undulation: Megregian, O'Neill, Lopez

OR

Sunset: Megregian, O'Neill, Lopez
Undulation: Jiang

In the first scenario, Jiang is the student who reviews ONLY Sunset.  In the second scenario, Lopez is the student who reviews ONLY Sunset.

Why is this not correct? 

It seems like you mistook the question for "Which of the following is a complete and accurate list of the students any one of which could be a student only reviewing Sunset?"
What's the deal with signatures?

Also, what's the deal with LSN?
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nevdash/jd

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:34:05 PM »
Thank you to both of you.  I see where I went wrong now.  That language can sometimes confuse me - I better dig through some old preptests and review similar question constructions to become more comfortable with those types of questions.

Thanks again!

blairchuckalways

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN data
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 11:39:48 PM »
Don't feel bad, I just took 42 and made that exact same mistake. Game 4 was such a nightmare.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 07:37:44 AM »
Don't feel bad, I just took 42 and made that exact same mistake. Game 4 was such a nightmare.

Yea man.  I found it hard to make inferences quickly.   

nevdash

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - myxlastxbreath
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:39:25 PM »
Thank you to both of you.  I see where I went wrong now.  That language can sometimes confuse me - I better dig through some old preptests and review similar question constructions to become more comfortable with those types of questions.

Thanks again!

No problem. Seeing the difference between those two types of questions is seriously brutal when you're under pressure. :(
What's the deal with signatures?

Also, what's the deal with LSN?
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nevdash/jd

joymom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:45:57 PM »
I just finished this prep test too.

How do you think about Q14 in this Game section?  Don't you think the question is very tricky too?  "How many of the days are such that at most two batches could be made on that day?"

Can we discuss how to approach this type of questions?

Thanks for sharing.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »
I just finished this prep test too.

How do you think about Q14 in this Game section?  Don't you think the question is very tricky too?  "How many of the days are such that at most two batches could be made on that day?"

Can we discuss how to approach this type of questions?

Thanks for sharing.

Ugh I hated that question (and those types of questions).  I think they're designed to take up time- I believe the only way you can approach them is test out every day to see if more than 3 batches (or whatever they are asking) can be made on that day.  It's helpful if you have a previous setup(s) where you have some of the information already drawn up, but I think if you don't you have to go ahead and try each day to see which ones work and which ones don't.  I think they suck so much because no one wants to take the time to do this, but it's the only way (that I can think of at least) to make sure you can rule out each day.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 10:54:32 PM »
I got that one wrong too ;D.  When I went back over the problem, I found that it was clear that Monday could be at most two because P1 is after O1.  Thus, P1 & S1 are the most that can occur on Monday.  Since that is the only space restricted to that degree, the answer is one.

Blueskies is right - they designed that to waste the time of testtakers; however, you don't need to go through every space.  No inference can be made that would restrict any other space to two, so the correct answer is A) one.