Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The 40 Best & Worst Law Schools for Philadelphia BigLaw  (Read 8483 times)

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The 40 Best & Worst Law Schools for Philadelphia BigLaw
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »
stop crossposting!

That, and there is almost no way someone who wants to work in Philly should choose Temple (1) over Harvard (31) - and certainly not on account of a list like this that seems to suggest that Temple's placement is better than Harvard's for Philly firms. This list doesn't account for selection bias on the part of students, which is rather important.

No lists mention selection bias. But I think a point of the list is that you can take a huge scholarship to Temple instead of going to Harvard if you want to practice in Philadelphia. And in the end, that lack of debt would make it a better decision. But I have two problems with this: the repetition of the same post and the misleading title- there is nothing on here abou thte worst law schools for philly.

It doesn't matter whether or not another list mentions selection bias - the fact is that it is incredibly important, and it is unaccounted for here, and at least as far as the OP goes, not even mentioned as a consideration. The rankings are misleading.

I personally wouldn't take the chance on Temple over Harvard, but then I'm particularly risk averse and modest about my intellectual prowess - it might be a good choice for some people. Even assuming you graduate at the top of your class, though, (which simply isn't guaranteed) the opportunities you'd have, generally speaking, probably wouldn't be the same. Of course, there are other considerations, and every person should make their choice based on their particular circumstances.

Regardless, though, these rankings do very little work towards identifying which schools give you the best opportunities in Philadelphia law firms, and are misleading.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The 40 Best & Worst Law Schools for Philadelphia BigLaw
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 10:34:52 AM »
I can't believe you'd doubt me like that.