Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Successful angles?  (Read 433 times)

augusta

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Successful angles?
« on: September 13, 2008, 10:16:29 PM »
I'm in PS-process, and am having some trouble deciding on the most appropriate/successful tack to take. The first draft I wrote turned out to be a "what I learned from my mentor" essay, and while I think I managed to write enough about myself, it ended up coming across as pretty idealistic and Big Picture oriented--not grounded enough in what I've actually done.

This new draft is beginning to shape up as a filling-out of my CV--how what I've done demonstrates my talents and training, how all of that will then benefit both me in law school and the community of students I hope to enter, and then of course how all of those activities/abilities have led me to move in this particular direction.

My concern is that while the first was too lofty, the second will seem redundant--after all, they will be getting all of the hard info, including a copy of my CV, and I'm sure they can make their own inferences as to what those things say about me. I have a background in literature and philosophy, so am wary of trying a creative tack, especially because my numbers are only mid-range (3.65/165 average on prep-tests).

Any suggestions?
3.67/Oct. LSAT

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: Successful angles?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:08:14 AM »
I wouldn't use the 2nd one either...maybe take some time and think about what qualities you want to convey to them.  Make a list.  And then think of some of your favorite stories you like to tell about yourself, or other people like to tell about you (I know, it's kind of weird, but I think it'll help give you some ideas about what you/other people like to say about you) and see if you can come up with a PS from that kind of stuff.

You don't want to reiterate your resume, you need something that tells about who you are that they can't see from other parts of your application.  Figure out what that is you want to tell them, and then you can find a way to tell it.  Good luck!
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.