Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Study Abroad Grades  (Read 4525 times)

ak362

• View Profile
    • Email
Study Abroad Grades
« on: September 13, 2008, 09:53:52 AM »
Hi folks,

I was wondering if you could help me out a bit here. Through LSD and other sources, I was under the impression that study abroad grades were included in the LSDAS transcript analysis, even if it did not impact your undergraduate record GPA-wise. However, my transcript analysis just came up, and it seems as if the Study Abroad courses were omitted completely, without a hint of recognition of even unconverted credit for the study abroad grades. I did receive credit for the courses but if the grades were applied it would be a significant boost to my overall standing (even if they weren't, it would show a pattern of improvement). I really do not want to go in with just the two years of undergrad that I did and the three semesters of community college while in high school... what do you think I should do? Is there a way I can get the study abroad grades considered?

Thanks for your help.

valjean

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Study Abroad Grades
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 11:53:42 AM »
I'm about to be in the same boat (studying abroad for my third year of university before applying, so I'll only have two years at my degree-granting institution) and it's my impression that LSDAS does not calculate study abroad grades into their GPA.

I couldn't find where it says that explicitly, but they don't even want you to send a transcript if you studied outside the US for a year or less.

"You must have foreign transcripts, mark sheets, and degree certifications sent if:
you are applying to a law school that requires the JD Credential Assembly Service (JD CAS, an extension of LSDAS), AND
you received your undergraduate degree from a foreign institution, OR
you were directly enrolled at a foreign institution(s) and the total amount of work you completed at all foreign institutions combined is the equivalent of more than one year of undergraduate study in the US, its territories, or Canada."

http://lsac.org/Applying/lsdas-requesting-transcripts.asp
Not applying until next cycle...

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 09:42:13 PM »
Also- even if you do send in your study abroad transcript, they don't factor your GPA in.  No way at all...I tried  ;)
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

hnm87

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »
I think i'm pretty much in the same spot but a little worse i would say.

I got admitted to undegrad university with almost a full year of advanced credits. So, i started off with sophomore standing. I took two summers and a whole academic year ( which makes a total of 4 semesters) and now i plan to study abroad for the whole year. When i come back i'll be left with just two courses which i'll complete in the summers after my arrival back.

Would this have an affect on my application or chances to get into a top Law School? I have a very good GPA from a very reputed university. I am confused, will my accelerated track have any affect on my application?

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 10:23:47 PM »
No- why would it?

hnm87

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 10:34:10 PM »
Because it's not a tyical 4 years undegrad degree i am going through. Everything in my case has been accelerated so i just thought it might be a little unconventional for the selectors and might diminish my chances specially incase if i go abroad.

Btw when you apply for a Law School, do they ask for the transcript from the ongoing Fall semester aswell or just the transcript from the first three years of the college? In other words do they really care about your senior year grades? Most of the decisions i assume are made by March/April and by then senior year spring semester grades are not available.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 10:38:34 PM »

It doesn't matter if it's accelerated, it just matters that you come out with a (bachelors) degree.

You have to send in transcripts from all undergraduate institutions except foreign ones.  You just have your school send in the transcript they have for you at the time, and you can have them send another one after your fall semester to update your grades if you want.  I think most schools request a transcript or something before you attend to.  But yeah, if you're still in school, they'll just make the decision based on what you have at LSAC.

hnm87

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 12:43:33 AM »
Thanks. You were of great help!

Mr_Master2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 03:40:15 AM »
While searching for study abroad information in law school (I'm a 1L), I saw this topic. Do not listen to what these posters have said! I guess this stems from the fact that most people on this forum have never been to law school.

While in undergrad, I participated in a study abroad program for a semester. My school told me that the grades would not be reflected in my gpa, and would only serve to give me credit for that semester. While this was true, LSDAS FACTORS IN YOUR STUDY ABROAD GRADES INTO YOUR GPA! In other words, after you start sending out your law school applications, you will be able to see the LSDAS report that is sent to every law school you apply to. In this report, there is something called "overall gpa" or something to that effect. In this statistic, they convert your grades received abroad into an American style gpa format.

I learned this the hard way. I figured my grades didn't mean anything abroad, and treated each class like it was pass/fail. In addition, I studied in Australia, where there is much less grade inflation then there is here, and they don't even use our grading system. Their grades are HD,D,C,P,F. You cannot really convert this into A,B,C,D,E. Unfortunately, my overall gpa reflected some weird conversion of the grades from that semester and was lowered around .15.

It all worked out, as I got into a T25 school, but know that LSDAS WILL take your grades earned abroad and factor them into your gpa. Be warned.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 03:48:37 AM »
Also- even if you do send in your study abroad transcript, they don't factor your GPA in.  No way at all...I tried  ;)

Wait, my study abroad grades were totally included in my overall GPA... It's been a couple of years, but they definitely were, in my case.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.