Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I need to include a 'why school' blip in my personal statement?  (Read 1162 times)

blairchuckalways

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN data
Do I need to include a 'why school' blip in my personal statement?
« on: September 12, 2008, 11:02:19 AM »
So I'm very intent on keeping the personal statement I send to all schools at two pages, however, I'm unsure as to whether I must include a "Why School" essay in the PS for those schools that do not require a separate essay on the topic. I have a few lines explaining why I want to go to a school that fit within the 2 page limit, however I feel like this "mini why essay" sounds hollow, even though I've tried my best to convey the main points on why I want to attend the school.

Long story short -- do I need to include the "why essay" in the PS or is it fine to go without?

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do I need to include a 'why school' blip in my personal statement?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 12:01:15 PM »
No you don't need to. It's better that you don't. It looks very cliche and well, fake if you just add a few sentences at the end of your essay. They will definitely be able to tell.

For your reach schools I would recommend putting together a one-page Why Law addendum.

Holden Caulfield

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »
No you don't need to. It's better that you don't. It looks very cliche and well, fake if you just add a few sentences at the end of your essay. They will definitely be able to tell.

For your reach schools I would recommend putting together a one-page Why Law addendum.

I completely agree. I would only have a "why school" essay if you have an extraordinary reason/connection.

pre_JD_2be

• PM me! I'll read your PS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »
ya, most students just BS that "why law" section, so it loses all meaning unless you have something cool to say there.

Pretty much everyone writes some generic stuff about justice and truth and "the discipline of law" and how they'll be a better citizen and whatnot.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 03:21:28 AM »
Save the space for something important. Since everyone does them and they don't mean anything Adcomms just skip that stuff anyway.

I wish they didn't though, it sure makes conclusions a lot easier!
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.