Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Completely disheartened by OCI  (Read 4756 times)

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Completely disheartened by OCI
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 08:48:20 PM »
Quick question for all of you: are big law firms the only jobs you are considering? 

I ask because there are GREAT jobs out there working for gov't agencies that you might be missing if you concentrate on OCI.  There are also many 20 lawyer firms that don't have the resources/time to participate in OCI that are great places to work.

Relying on OCI to get a job is like relying on the pull out method for birth control.  I have seen it work, but it isn't reliable.

TeeTwenty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 12:15:01 AM »
Quick question for all of you: are big law firms the only jobs you are considering? 

I ask because there are GREAT jobs out there working for gov't agencies that you might be missing if you concentrate on OCI.  There are also many 20 lawyer firms that don't have the resources/time to participate in OCI that are great places to work.

Relying on OCI to get a job is like relying on the pull out method for birth control.  I have seen it work, but it isn't reliable.

If BigLaw is struggling, so is the 20 lawyer firm. The difference is, that the 20 lawyer firm doesn't have a program to run, and therefore doesn't have to hire anyone.

Also, Government agencies come to my school's OCI. I don't want to be a government lawyer though. In fact, as my resume prob. reflects, I'm much more comfortable working for someone who sues the government.

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 01:33:16 AM »
It's not you guys, the economy is just bad right now.  Many firms are hiring less this summer.